Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Re: Looking to buy a 3 acre property in Monroe County. Would I be able to shoot on it

Get a range pass from the game commission it cost 30 per year from June to June. Tobyhanna is the closet to you. it has a 100 50 yards for rifle and 15 25 for pistol.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Looking to buy a 3 acre property in Monroe County. Would I be able to shoot on it

Why Monroe County?

Monroe County, Pennsylvania is less than desirable for myriad reasons! This county (Monroe) has seen rapid commercial development within the past few years. At least this northern section is getting crowded. They're still breaking ground all over the place, installing new traffic light intersections, throwing up buildings and shopping malls. Another thing, as of recent years, there are regular grid-lock traffic jams spilling down from Interstate 80 onto old two lane route 611. The roads from Stroudsburg, through Tannersville all the way up to Mount Pocono get bottled up more and more often at all hours of the day. Summer weekends are a big problem getting around unless a person can perhaps rat race via back roads.

Why not look at Pike County next door to Monroe. There seems to be plenty of wooded regions in Pike and it's not all bloated with over development. Milford, the county seat is a pleasant town with small shops and little eateries. The wife and me drive up to Pike County from time to time for our Saturday lunch date. Pike County is pie wedged into New York and New Jersey states. Port Jervis, New York just a hand full of miles from Milford, PA has the Jersey Transit commuter rail connection into New York City.

We've been seriously thinking about purchasing some acreage in Pike County just for a sort of quasi-remote camp. Would probably park an RV or camping trailer there and play the roll of half-arsed prepper survivors.

Check out Pike County!
    "Make peaceful revolution impossible, violent revolution is inevitable." JFK

Quote Originally Posted by adt6247 View Post
    By "avoid communities", do you mean unincorporated communities like Cresco and Paradise? That's where I hear all the shots coming from.

I currently have to drive about 90 minutes to get to my range in NJ. I'm in the burbs and I like shooting outdoors, so there's no good options for me.
    communities like HOA's. homeowners associations are an antiquated way of living where your neighbors will dictate how you are allowed to breathe. often one jackboot moron who has nothing better to do will take power and the bylaws never involve term limits. then you get plenty of kindergarten politics and your extra fees go toward a huge game of "king of the hill"
    gated versions are essentially prison housing complexes, they lock the criminals in and you pay for a police force that can't keep up with all the latchkey kids(teens) and drugs.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

As stated above it depends on your township within Monroe County. Where I live I can shoot on my own property as long as there is a proper back stop which I have. I also hunt small game on the 30 acres behind my 4 with my neighbors permission. In other townships within a mile from me the local ordinances are different so it varies. I still burn leaves like all my neighbors do but I know it's posted no burning in Effort which is about 500 yards up the road. Only way to get your answer is to tell us what county or call your local zoning dept.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    communities like HOA's. homeowners associations are an antiquated way of living where your neighbors will dictate how you are allowed to breathe. often one jackboot moron who has nothing better to do will take power and the bylaws never involve term limits. then you get plenty of kindergarten politics and your extra fees go toward a huge game of "king of the hill"
    gated versions are essentially prison housing complexes, they lock the criminals in and you pay for a police force that can't keep up with all the latchkey kids(teens) and drugs.
    Unfortunately this is pretty much the truth. Since there very few apartment complexes to throw section 8 recipients into they win the lottery by getting a free 2500 sq ft house that some other ass hat foreclosed on years ago after realizing Pocono living is vastly different vs the Bronx. Best advise I can give you is the same that was given to me and to stay the Hell out of the gated communities regardless of how cheap the beautiful home maybe and how great the realtor tells you the community is. While there are a few okay ones most of them really do suck suck just read the Pocono record.

On a side note no community with an HOA will allow the discharge of a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
    Why Monroe County?

Monroe County, Pennsylvania is less than desirable for myriad reasons! This county (Monroe) has seen rapid commercial development within the past few years. At least this northern section is getting crowded. They're still breaking ground all over the place, installing new traffic light intersections, throwing up buildings and shopping malls. Another thing, as of recent years, there are regular grid-lock traffic jams spilling down from Interstate 80 onto old two lane route 611. The roads from Stroudsburg, through Tannersville all the way up to Mount Pocono get bottled up more and more often at all hours of the day. Summer weekends are a big problem getting around unless a person can perhaps rat race via back roads.

Why not look at Pike County next door to Monroe. There seems to be plenty of wooded regions in Pike and it's not all bloated with over development. Milford, the county seat is a pleasant town with small shops and little eateries. The wife and me drive up to Pike County from time to time for our Saturday lunch date. Pike County is pie wedged into New York and New Jersey states. Port Jervis, New York just a hand full of miles from Milford, PA has the Jersey Transit commuter rail connection into New York City.

We've been seriously thinking about purchasing some acreage in Pike County just for a sort of quasi-remote camp. Would probably park an RV or camping trailer there and play the roll of half-arsed prepper survivors.

Check out Pike County!

The West End does not suffer from the issues you speak of.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Unfortunately this is pretty much the truth. Since there very few apartment complexes to throw section 8 recipients into they win the lottery by getting a free 2500 sq ft house that some other ass hat foreclosed on years ago after realizing Pocono living is vastly different vs the Bronx. Best advise I can give you is the same that was given to me and to stay the Hell out of the gated communities regardless of how cheap the beautiful home maybe and how great the realtor tells you the community is. While there are a few okay ones most of them really do suck suck just read the Pocono record.

On a side note no community with an HOA will allow the discharge of a firearm.
    yep.. we live in winona lakes, ungated but it still blows. been debating moving for years although property value is really crap and we own outright, no mortgage. i hear gunshots and fireworks everywhere but they do levy a $250+ fine. i still drive out to sgl127 because i don't have anywhere i could safely shoot here.
    we hope that one day the HOA dissolves. until then, the same 8 or 9 asshats keep fighting for the hill. look back the last 10+ years, same asshats on the board... only a small portion of the membership votes or even lives here. some 300 people of 1200.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
    Why Monroe County?

*snip* ...

Check out Pike County!
    Though I understand your perspective and genuinely appreciate your feedback, I work in Morris County, NJ, and have for many years. I also occasionally have business in Manhattan, and have to go into the city about twice a month. The fact that I have direct access to route 80 is a feature, not a bug for me.

There are far fewer options in my industry (software development specializing in agency-side pharma marketing) in NJ than I do in PA. I need to maximize my opportunities.

Also, I'm unsure about traditional Latin mass opportunities in Pike, which is 100% required for my family. I know there is one in Scranton, and I am in driving distance to 2 TLM parishes in NJ.

I also need to be within reasonable driving distance of my in-laws--a non-negotiable for the wife. If it were up to me, and money was no object, I'd go much further west and south, whether PA or some other state.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    Pork roll the only thing good to come out of NJ
    Hellooooooooooooooo........Bon Jovi !!!!!!
    Don’t like me ???? Tough, I don’t give a flying f@@k about ya.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Hellooooooooooooooo........Bon Jovi !!!!!!
    Bon Jerkoff is the biggest poser libtard talentless Homo EVER!!!

Just sayin.

Besides, it's a Tie between me and Ungawa.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast