Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Open carrying AR-15 on Halloween ,

Agree with UJ. And what’s with wishing carry was not the norm? I wish everyone would wake up and be responsible for their own safety and defense. It kind of comes off as the elitist that want protection for themselves but want the people to be helpless

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PistolFan View Post
    Nobody should be condoning this idiots behavior, nobody! its stupid, reckless and immature! Whats next running down the street yelling "Allahu akbar" carrying an AR as a joke!? It makes the rest of us law abiding responsible citizens look like nut jobs. IF I saw somebody walking down my street with an AR I'd call the cops too! Come on use COMMONSENSE. I've been packing for near 20 years now and I liked it far better when carrying wasn't the norm. I now regret the NRA pushing this topic to what it is today. You can mark my words - someday the law will change in this state because of scenarios like this that will make OC unlawful and you will only be able to carry concealed.
    Wow. You're about TEN YEARS too late for that "gonna ruin it for everyone" argument.

It hasn't happened and in fact, many, many more people (gun owners and non gun owners) now understand that it's legal, as opposed to back when everyone thought OC was illegal and people were predicting that the simple act of openly carrying a handgun would turn back the clock and bring about more restrictions and criminalize open carry.

Pretty much the exact opposite has happened.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Halloween is coming!

Get those costumes with guns ready.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Halloween is coming!

Get those costumes with guns ready.
    I'm going to be taking #2 & #3 to a community Halloween event where they'll be working a stand. I was thinking of having them dress as Carl and Lizzy.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Susquehanna County)

Nobody should be condoning this idiots behavior, nobody! its stupid, reckless and immature!
    It was stupid, but legal

IF I saw somebody walking down my street with an AR I'd call the cops too!
    I will take into account you are new here and also from S.E. PA

You can mark my words - someday the law will change in this state because of scenarios like this that will make OC unlawful and you will only be able to carry concealed.
    Which still would not affect the carry of a long gun.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

So a suburban street is a good place to use a 5.56mm carbine or rifle for , what?

I'm guessing his skill level with the weapon is as high as his maturity and common sense.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    So a suburban street is a good place to use a 5.56mm carbine or rifle for , what?

I'm guessing his skill level with the weapon is as high as his maturity and common sense.
    He was using it as a prop, as part of a bona fide Halloween costume. Kept it pointed in a safe direction (despite it being unloaded.) Never pointed it at anyone, never shook it at anyone, didn't say anything to anyone in a threatening tone. Probably 3 dozen people saw him in costume that night, all but 3 of them recognized the character (from "The Purge" movie, the guy on the cover of the DVD) and thought it was terrific; and 1 guy driving by called the cops, and the 2 cops over-reacted.

If we have to limit ourselves to behavior that offends nobody, then we'll have to shut down PAFOA, give up our guns, never discuss politics or the weather, and live like monks. "Bearing arms" is an enumerated right, and when people on "our side" deny that right, maybe they aren't on our side after all.

It was Halloween. Between the zombies, hookers, Obamas and other assorted trash, 1 guy in a suit carrying a rifle blends in and actually classes up the place.

BTW, by all accounts he's proficient with a rifle and is a fanatic about safety, according to everyone who knows him. He broke none of the safety rules that night, which is more than I can say about any visit to a crowded gun range that I recall.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    He was using it as a prop, as part of a bona fide Halloween costume. Kept it pointed in a safe direction (despite it being unloaded.) Never pointed it at anyone, never shook it at anyone, didn't say anything to anyone in a threatening tone. Probably 3 dozen people saw him in costume that night, all but 3 of them recognized the character (from "The Purge" movie, the guy on the cover of the DVD) and thought it was terrific; and 1 guy driving by called the cops, and the 2 cops over-reacted.

If we have to limit ourselves to behavior that offends nobody, then we'll have to shut down PAFOA, give up our guns, never discuss politics or the weather, and live like monks. "Bearing arms" is an enumerated right, and when people on "our side" deny that right, maybe they aren't on our side after all.

It was Halloween. Between the zombies, hookers, Obamas and other assorted trash, 1 guy in a suit carrying a rifle blends in and actually classes up the place.

BTW, by all accounts he's proficient with a rifle and is a fanatic about safety, according to everyone who knows him. He broke none of the safety rules that night, which is more than I can say about any visit to a crowded gun range that I recall.
    Hindsight is great. I would have loved to have known half of the information about my Ped Stops, that you now know about this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Hindsight is great. I would have loved to have known half of the information about my Ped Stops, that you now know about this guy.
    I agree that police shouldn't be judged on the entirety of the facts as determined later...but citizens call the cops to check out situations. When all you report is "it's Halloween and there's a guy wearing a mask and a suit and carrying what could be a real rifle", we expect police to sort the wheat from the chaff, see if he's a crazed loony or a guy participating in Halloween.

If the report included "he's aiming the rifle at kids", or if he was aggressive when police showed up, then factor that in. If the police interview some other nearby people wearing costumes and they vouch for the guy before the police meet him, then we expect THAT to be factored in to the assessment.

I posted here years ago that if I looked out my front window and saw some solitary dude at 10 PM carrying a rifle, on most days I'd call the police to check it out. But my expectation would not be that they'd throw him to the ground before talking to him, then arresting him in the absence of any factor other than "he was bearing arms". I think there's something about that in the Constitution. State and Fed.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

In our democracy, public opinion (in the form of votes) ultimately trumps everything else. The 2A is good only as long as there isnt a constitutional amendment to repeal it. This guy moved the needle of public opinion ever so slightly in the wrong direction. So do the guys who feel compelled to OC ARs at Starbucks.

If he wanted to strengthen the 2A, he should have invited a non-shooter out to plink cans with a .22. Show them how safe and enjoyable shooting can be.
    Last edited by jmh308; September 23rd, 2017 at 06:54 AM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast