Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Open carrying AR-15 on Halloween ,

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I agree that police shouldn't be judged on the entirety of the facts as determined later...but citizens call the cops to check out situations. When all you report is "it's Halloween and there's a guy wearing a mask and a suit and carrying what could be a real rifle", we expect police to sort the wheat from the chaff, see if he's a crazed loony or a guy participating in Halloween.

If the report included "he's aiming the rifle at kids", or if he was aggressive when police showed up, then factor that in. If the police interview some other nearby people wearing costumes and they vouch for the guy before the police meet him, then we expect THAT to be factored in to the assessment.

I posted here years ago that if I looked out my front window and saw some solitary dude at 10 PM carrying a rifle, on most days I'd call the police to check it out. But my expectation would not be that they'd throw him to the ground before talking to him, then arresting him in the absence of any factor other than "he was bearing arms". I think there's something about that in the Constitution. State and Fed.
    I can agree with all of this. You stated it very well.

However my personal opinion is that authentic firearms should not be used as props, except maybe in a static display. Just too many things that can go bad.

(Allegheny County)

I finally read the article in the OP to get a better feel for what was being discussed.

So dude admits to intentionally trying to "scare people"... I mean, I guess the intent would be the same as if he were wearing a skull mask, but still.

Dumbass. He took a chance doing it and lost. He was a dumbass for opening his mouth and giving them the info needed to hang his ass.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I finally read the article in the OP to get a better feel for what was being discussed.

So dude admits to intentionally trying to "scare people"... I mean, I guess the intent would be the same as if he were wearing a skull mask, but still.

Dumbass. He took a chance doing it and lost. He was a dumbass for opening his mouth and giving them the info needed to hang his ass.

You did see that he was acquitted?
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I can agree with all of this. You stated it very well.

However my personal opinion is that authentic firearms should not be used as props, except maybe in a static display. Just too many things that can go bad.
    Yes, like the case of the poor guy in Walmart that was shot twice for flinching.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    No. They still hung his ass regardless. It just didn't stick.

And he was still a dumbass for opening his mouth.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    O. J. Simpson was acquitted in his criminal trial also.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Yes, like the case of the poor guy in Walmart that was shot twice for flinching.
    Yep.

(Perry County)

Given the fact that literally nothing he did was against the law, he shouldn't have been charged. DC is a catchall, the closest thing there is to making stupidity illegal.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Given the fact that literally nothing he did was against the law, he shouldn't have been charged. DC is a catchall, the closest thing there is to making stupidity illegal.
    It's not against the law to intentionally scare people while using a gun to help in that effort?

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

You did see that it was only the cops who claimed that he admitted trying to scare people? Not on video, even though the incident happened directly in front of the police car, because the dashcam "was turned off".

I hate to break it to you, but sometimes cops paraphrase things to make their case stronger. Seriously, it happens, just like defendants with long rap sheets claim that they were framed every time.

His version is different.

EVEN IF it were true that he was trying to scare people on Halloween....that's kind of the point of Halloween, isn't it? Further, if you or I wanted to scare people with a gun, would we quietly hold it with the muzzle pointed off in a safe direction, or would we point it at folks and snarl "you're gonna die!"?
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast