Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Open Carry in Delaware water gap recreational area and parts of PA Appalachian Trail

Hi all,
    I'm new here and this is my first post.
    I'm doing some thru hiking in PA along the AT near the Delaware water gap.
    I've applied for my CCL but have not received it in the mail yet.

I will be camping in the woods along the trail.
    Are you allowed to open carry there? "There" referring to Delaware water gap recreational area and parts of the AT to the west of that area?
    I understand you can technically open carry in PA, I just want to have a slightly better understanding of the legality in this area where I'm camping.

Looking forward to replies!

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Open Carry in Delaware water gap recreational area and parts of PA Appalachian Tr

It's a national park, so carry is legal in dwg. Your bigger problem is how to get a pistol there without a LTCF. Without it you can only transport it to certain exempted places (range, home, gun shop). You can't transport it somewhere, to just oc it.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Open Carry in Delaware water gap recreational area and parts of PA Appalachian Tr

Thanks R L Suehr for your quick response!
    I'll keep that in mind.
    I know they're strict with to-from the range with no stops.

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    It's a national park, so carry is legal in dwg. Your bigger problem is how to get a pistol there without a LTCF. Without it you can only transport it to certain exempted places (range, home, gun shop). You can't transport it somewhere, to just oc it.
    He'll just have to walk there.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Is the AT a national park? I'm skeptical. PA's long-distance hiking trails go through a patchwork of state parks, state national forests, state gamelands, county & local parks, and private land, all with potentially different rules. I wouldn't expect the AT to be any different.

ETA: never mind - just found the answer. Apparently, it's all owned by the feds except for a tiny amount.
    Last edited by scruff; November 17th, 2016 at 03:49 PM.

(Delaware County)

In regards to the AT, you may OC so long as it is not a state park, where concealed carry is required. You are good to go in State Forests and National Forests, county and local parks. I believe you may OC in SGLs so long as you have a License to Carry Firearms (LTCF), as it would be falling under PA Game Commission regulations. I can look into that a little bit later for you. Generally you wont get hassled for OC though you may get a few looks from other hikers.