Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Open carry on state gamelands

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    Be advised non-hunters are required to wear blaze orange this time of year. Personal opinion: hunters paid for that land in order to enjoy it for hunting. If you are not hunting, why not hike somewhere else where you don't risk ruining someone's hunt?
    Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    Minor correction, the orange requirement only comes into play during rifle deer season. all other times, it is highly recommended and encouraged. I also encourage you to hike on Sunday or elsewhere as to not disturb the hunt. I had a "Hiker" trespassing on private property with out orange disrupt my hunt two weeks ago. If I wanted you hiking my property I wouldn't have spent money and time in putting up those big yellow signs.....
    Quote Originally Posted by inspecterbake View Post
    Saturday is the first day of BEAR season so ORANGE IS REQUIRED.
    Can any of you provide the PGC code that states orange is required for hikers? I'm curious about this because the language on the PGC's site is all specific to hunters.

(Monroe County)

Thanks for all the tips, i don't hunt so this information is good. I think we will hike around elk mountain instead.
    "fom my cold dead hands"

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Can any of you provide the PGC code that states orange is required for hikers? I'm curious about this because the language on the PGC's site is all specific to hunters.
    http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...5/s135.41.html

(21) Except on Sundays, be present on State game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest and back combined or, in lieu thereof, a hat of the same colored material. The material shall be worn so it is visible in a 360° arc. Persons using shooting ranges are exempted from this requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...5/s135.41.html

(21) Except on Sundays, be present on State game lands from November 15 through December 15 inclusive when not engaged in lawful hunting or trapping and fail to wear a minimum of 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest and back combined or, in lieu thereof, a hat of the same colored material. The material shall be worn so it is visible in a 360° arc. Persons using shooting ranges are exempted from this requirement.
    Thank you. It isn't listed in the Hunter Trapping book that comes with our licenses. I guess PGC figures anyone with the book bought a license so hiking isn't their priority.

I'm glad it is a requirement. If nothing else it is common sense. Thanks again for the reference.

I would advise you to stay out of a SGL heavily populated by black bears on the first day of rifle bear season in PA. For no other reason than courtesy for those out hunting. I know I wouldn't want to inadvertently walk into the middle of an organized bear drive.

(Delaware County)

Spinhat, in your initial post you never stated what kind of weapon you wanted to open carry. As others have stated hunting regulations come into play (sadly as we having given the game commission too much power). OC is legal in PA for handguns, rifles, shotguns, and NFA if I am not mistaken. However, semiauto rifles are not permitted for hunting. Thus while legal to carry per my understanding of hunting regs if you are carrying a semi rifle on public hunting lands you are presumed to be hunting (presumed guilty and you must prove innocence) if cited by a WCO. If you are carrying a manually operated rifle/shotgun and do not have a hunting license and following the hunting regs you are presumed to be hunting illegally (patching) and will be cited as such by the WCO. Since revolvers may also be used legally for hunting I would also disease you from OCing a revolver for the same reasons as above. this leaves semiauto pistols for OC as your best bet. I have OC'd on SGL while hiking but have never met a WCo during those times, so I can not personally comment on what they would do, but for personal protection I'd recommend the semiauto pistol. LTCF may help but is not required (aside from transport to the SGL)

What gun are you planning on carrying? If it's a .44 mag super red hawk with a 9 in barrel and a scope, you might get accused of hunting. If it's a Glock 17 in a paddle holster I don't think it would be an issue.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12