Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Mid-size M&P 45?

Anyone have a mid-size M&P 45? Any comments? If you have the full size or compact, I'd like to hear your opinions too. Thank you!
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Centre County)

Default Re: Mid-size M&P 45?

external size wise, they are sort of similar to that of standard M&P9(other then grip being slightly longer and wider to accommodate the 45's).
    I have full size M&P45, and I'd pick M&P45(in any size) that over any other 45.
    Trigger will smooth out after shooting in some short order to the serviceable level.
    But if that's not good enough, Apex trigger kit does wonders for these guns...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lackawanna County)

Have the 45 compact, my cc gun 75% of the time, other 25% Glock g19. Very identical in size, actually prefer grip on SW 45. For couple more rounds use 10rd mag with x-grip mag adaptor, then very similar in size to medium M&P 45. Offers some versatility. I had a Sig 220 and 227 in 45, and Glock 30sf, much prefer S W 45, for me its the grip, just very comfortable in hand compared to other 45s. Plus price is right.

(Montgomery County)

I have a full size M&P 45, no experience with the smaller ones. It's my bedside gun. I found the trigger horrendous. To the point I didn't want to shoot it and I've never before had much of an issue with any of my prior guns (Shield, Glocks, 3rd Gen S&W, Beretta). It was hard to pull and felt really gritty.

This was the stock trigger after probably 200 rounds:

This was after installing the Apex Duty trigger kit:

Besides being a fair bit lighter, it's also smoother feeling, NOT 1911 buttery, but "duty/service" acceptable. Obviously plenty of folks don't mind the stock trigger, but as I said I personally couldn't stand it. It was either Apex or get rid of it.

Otherwise, I like the platform. It eats all the cheap ammo I throw at it as well as various different defense loads I've tried.

And with the optional 14 rnd magazine, it certainly feels full size. But, not very concealable for most!

(Bucks County)

I just picked up a 45 compact today and had a chance to shoot it at the range. It's nice and light, compared to my hi point. I bought the Shield for a concealed carry as my hi point was a bit too big for that.

It's pretty accurate as well when I had the target out to 15 and 20 yards. I still need to practice to start hitting out past that.

My only complaint so far is the grip was irritating my palm after 70 or 80 rounds, next time, I'll wear a glove if I plan to shoot that much with it. The grip surface is made not to slip, and it works pretty well. I have big hands, and the gun fit comfortably, especially with the bigger mag.

Hope that helps.

(Montgomery County)

I carry a M&P45c most of the time. Mine has the Apex Ultimate Striker Block in it. I wanted a compact pistol but was finding that most of them were too small for my hands to be comfortable. I borrowed one for a few shots at a gun club and went on a mission to find one. It has a very natural point of aim for me. I only shoot it out to 15 yards, but it holds nice groups at that distance.
    Your web muscles do not frighten me.