Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Anyone Try M&P Shield in .45 ACP?

Hello gang,

Searched but only came up with a couple trades in Classifieds.

As the title asks... are any of you guys & gals using the M&P Shield in .45 ACP? If so, what do you think? Do you also have a Glock 30/30S?

I have several Glocks, including a 30SF which I like, but can't CCW well, but due to timing was heavily invested in 9mm Shields by the time Glock released the 43.

I am considering giving the M&P Shield .45 a try before investing in a Glock 30S.

Thanks in advance for any info.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Anyone Try M&P Shield in .45 ACP?

Quote Originally Posted by RTF92.5 View Post
    Hello gang,

Searched but only came up with a couple trades in Classifieds.

As the title asks... are any of you guys & gals using the M&P Shield in .45 ACP? If so, what do you think? Do you also have a Glock 30/30S?

I have several Glocks, including a 30SF which I like, but can't CCW well, but due to timing was heavily invested in 9mm Shields by the time Glock released the 43.

I am considering giving the M&P Shield .45 a try before investing in a Glock 30S.

Thanks in advance for any info.
    I have not shot one but i did hold one, it felt pretty good, thinner grip then a double stack glock, the handgunner in Topton had it in the case and someone was buying it. The price was 409, i did take a couple pictures if you would like me to post them, not detailed pictures though but pictures nonetheless.
    IANAL

(Bucks County)

Have one of the first ones available , FANTASTIC gun. Accuracy for a
    Gun this size is unequaled, at least in my hands. Has been Swiss watch reliable and great ergos and carriability.
    Recoil is easily managed

Grips are SHARP, and Would recommend Talons, inner tube, or some folks are lightly sanding the grip.
    My favorite.

In the center was the first group I fired with it, as fast as I could pull the trigger at 7 yds

Last edited by PocketProtector; November 13th, 2016 at 01:29 PM.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Lehigh County)

Last edited by CartBone69; November 13th, 2016 at 03:35 PM.
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

I recently bought the Shield 45. I also own a Shield 9 and a Glock 30 (Gen 3), both of which went to range with me for the first time shooting the Shield 45.

Overall handling the of the Shield 45 is very similar to the 9 mm version. It is slightly larger, but I'm not sure I would notice if they weren't side-by-side. I enjoyed shooting the Shield 45 very much. It does have a tad more recoil that the 9 mm version (and makes a significantly louder bang), but it wasn't uncomfortable to shoot in any way. I didn't do any sort of scientific tests or anything, but I would guess my recovery time between shots with the Shield 45 and Glock were similar, which is just slightly more than the Shield 9. I do find the Glock trigger slightly better. The Shield 45 trigger is pretty much the same feel to me as the Shield 9's. Not bad but I always seem to prefer the Glock's.

I was concerned that I wouldn't like the course stippling on the Shield 45, but found it comfortable and definitely gives a solid grip. I certainly wouldn't want it rubbing against bare skin when caring the gun, but otherwise I think it's an improvement over the 9 mm version.

I had no failures shooting a mix of CCI, Federal Hydra-shock, American Eagle. I shot ~150 rounds through the Shield 45. The only issue I experienced was how I was gripping the pistol caused me to drop the mag unexpectedly a couple times. I've never done that with the Shield 9, so I'm guessing the slightly different dimensions caused this. Once I was more aware of where my fingers were, it was no longer an issue.

Concealing it compared to me Glock 30 will be much easier. I don't think there will be much difference between carrying the Shield 9 and 45.

I found the gin to be plenty accurate and a blast to shoot. So far, I'm really I purchased one.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks Guys. Great info. Guess I'll have to hunt one down and give her a try.

I have the G30s and I love it! Great semi auto handgun. Recoil is very manageable. I've shot 9mm and .40S&W that were way worse.

(Chester County)

Smith and Wesson started shipping these to local ranges for their rental cabinets. Not sure who has them up your way but I have seen them in ranges in the Lancaster County area. I shot one about a month ago and was really impressed by it. Its going to come down to personal preference but I thought the recoil was tame and I was drilling the bullseye at 7 yards right from the first magazine. I certainly wouldn't turn one down after my experience! You should definitely find a place to try one out.

(Lehigh County)

I bought the S&W M&P Shield .45 without safety last month. I have CC'd 1911 commander size OWB for years and find them comfortable but, slightly heavy. I was attracted by the slim aspect, short length and light weight. I have larger hands and was concerned about grip length. I found that the standard magazine is a bit short but, the extended magazine is perfect and allows better control. I have subsequently purchased another S&W extended magazine as a carry spare.

Shooting the Shield .45 is better than I expected. It is accurate. Sights are easy to acquire. Recoil is very manageable. As SL Dan stated in an earlier post, I also experienced an inadvertent magazine drop during my first range session due to my grip. I now have "learned" the proper grip and have not experienced another loss of magazine. The trigger is good for a defensive pistol but, not target/match quality (I would not expect it to be). It is a striker-fired trigger system and therefore I ordered and purchased the model without safety (just another useless button IMHO).

I purchased an IWB kydex holster to CC this Shield. I carry either appendix or 3 o'clock as the conditions determine. It is very comfortable to carry. I will also acquire a leather OWB pancake holster.

I avoid purchasing firearms at Cabelas. However, I saw this S&W M&P Shield .45ACP on sale at Cabelas and was able to buy it for $379. I ordered online and shipped to store. I went to the Hamburg store in the morning at opening and was out the door 50 minutes later (not as fast as my lgs's but not 2-4 hours either). I'm sure the prices will hover between $365-$400, with patience. Get one, you'll like it!