Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Question Good options for double barrel side by side?

I'm new here, so hopefully this isn't a stupid question. I've been looking for a double barrel shotgun. Side by side, 12 gauge, preferable double trigger. Medium length barrel.

Any suggestions of brands or models?

The closest I've found is one by Mitchell, which is almost exactly what I'm looking for. But I don't know much about this brand or if its any good. And the only place I can find it is on a single website. I'd much rather find one in a shop somewhere, ideally used (since my budget is limited).

Thanks,
    BC

Default Re: Good options for double barrel side by side?

Unless i am mistaken, what you are looking for is called a "stage coach" gun, they where mainly used back when to protect trains...
    You can see one here http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=66218106
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Lehigh County)

Yes, thats very much what I'm looking for. A "coach gun". Are there any made by any reputable manufacturers?

I'd rather stay away from the Norinco's and other "made in china" stuff if I can. Would prefer one made in the USA, but I know thats not easy to find anymore. Any ideas?

Searching online hasn't really given me too many leads. Must not be much demand for double barrels anymore, I guess?

Thanks,
    BC

(Blair County)

Its Russian, but finding this one anymore is tricky. Remington bought the line and now market them as "Spartan" only complaint I have is the saftey automatically resets (goes to safe) when the action is opened. Nice safety feature but I sometimes forgot to push it back up to fire when shooting skeet.

Check out the Stoeger Overland. They are from South America about $300. I've had a couple and they aren't bad.

(Montgomery County)

I have a Stoeger Coach gun in matte nickel...good gun, works well, and is popular in the Single Action Shooters cowboy shoots...
    Like mine, nice wood, and the matte silver is decent.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Delaware County)

+1 on the Stoeger coach gun. I had one with 20" barrels and it was a blast to shoot!
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Jefferson County)

I have one of the Huglu/Akkar coachguns(KBI Import) that CZ now either owns or rebrands.

Hammer(working) double w/24" C/F(.732"/.696") choke 3" chamber. I paid about $420 for mine. The wood grain is very nice and fit to the metal damn fine. Action is tight, not sloppy loose like some I've seen.

CZ version (20" barrel only):
    http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=77

Huglu/Akkar(20" & 24"):
    http://www.akkar.com.tr/htm/turkce.htm
    (mine looks much like the one on this page, except mine has more brilliant case coloring)

Quote Originally Posted by BigCecil View Post
    Yes, thats very much what I'm looking for. A "coach gun". Are there any made by any reputable manufacturers?

I'd rather stay away from the Norinco's and other "made in china" stuff if I can. Would prefer one made in the USA, but I know thats not easy to find anymore. Any ideas?

Searching online hasn't really given me too many leads. Must not be much demand for double barrels anymore, I guess?

Thanks,
    BC
    You might still find them (used) made in the USA or Canada.. But for an original, your going to pay unless its pretty worn. As for not buying foregn, you might be surprised how accurately they reproduce them.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Montgomery County)

forgot to add on the safety issue, I havent seen a side by side or over under WITHOUT a automatic safety on opening in a very very long time.
    If you know what you are doing, its easily disconnected, but better to just drill with it until you remember to take it off.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast