Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Condition Orange tonight.......

Let me set the stage:

My GF and I were heading out to a local range on the East side of town tonight to apply for membership. The east side is typicly "the bad" side of town but where we were going isn't "bad". I thought about carrying but decided against it (stupid me). So we get home and I pull the exploder up and let her out. At this time it's 7:20ish (dark). and I proceed to back the exploder up and get out myself. I hit the lock button and close the door. At this point I see a black male carrying two "duffle" bags at his side. He is walking up the street toward me. My GF is now on the porch waiting for me (I had her keys). The guy says to me "hey check this out" as he reaches into one of the bags. Now I'm thinking whats he going for? I'm also kicking myself for not having a weapon. As I keep moving toward the back of the explorer and toward the house I tell him " no thats alright". He answers "are you sure you don't want to check this out?" He still has his hand in the bag at this time. Again I tell him "no thanks" and proceed to the front porch. As we are going into our house my GF asks me what that was all about and I told her what he said etc etc.

Here is a interesting point. The whole time I was in dialogue with the guy I was thinking what I would do if he came out of the bag with a gun. All I could come up with was to throw the keys at my GF and tell her to get in the house, get to the safe room and call the police.

I open myself to your critique....
    Last edited by Jay5oh; February 28th, 2007 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Edited title. 6:59 2.28.07
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Condition Red tonight.......

*slap*

I hope you didnlt turn your back to him at any time?
    Last edited by JustinM; February 27th, 2007 at 09:16 PM.

(Cambria County)

Most accidents in cars happen within a mile of your house. WHY? Because we are relaxed and never think it will happen close to home. It is an excellent example of why, if your going to carry, always carry. Glad nothing came out of it.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Allegheny County)

It is an excellent example of why, if your going to carry, always carry. Glad nothing came out of it.
    Yup.

The ONE freakin' time I left my colt at home while walking the dog, I had a dog charge us with teeth bared/growling. He went straight for my dog and thankfully right as I was about to drop-kick it in the ribs, the owner screamed and it broke off without injuring my dog.

You NEVER know.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    You NEVER know.
    Exactly. If something bad is going to happen it'll be the one time you deside not to carry.

(Philadelphia County)

close, but not quite.

condition orange is where you have picked up on a potential threat and are preparing to take action if necessary. This is where you start contemplating the "ifs" and your response. (If he does _____ i will do _____.)

condition red is when you take action on a threat. (he does _____ so you did _____.)

What happened here is you got to condition orange, then condition brown. Condition Brown is something i added to the good colonel's color codes. Condition brown is where you blow bud into your skivvies because you realize you made a mistake in condition orange and are unable to come up with an immediate solution to your "ifs".

That's where you were, condition brown.

My solution for you is to expand your options. You didn't have your gun on you and you should have, but that's almost beside the point. Think of all the places you're not allowed to have a gun....there's a lot of them. What if you were in one of those places and this happened? Do you by any chance practice a practical martial art? Maybe you should. Maybe you should find a place that teaches not only a streetable form of unarmed combat, but also teaches how to command a situation verbally.

These are all things for you to seriously consider following what i hope was an eye opening incident for you. You got lucky tonight.
    Last edited by MarcS; February 27th, 2007 at 10:26 PM.

(Allegheny County)

White - Unaware and unprepared. If attacked in Condition White, the only thing that may save you is the inadequacy or ineptitude of your attacker. When confronted by something nasty, your reaction will probably be "Oh my God! This can't be happening to me."

Yellow - Relaxed alert. No specific threat situation. Your mindset is that "today could be the day I may have to defend myself." You are simply aware that the world is an unfriendly place and that you are prepared to do something, if necessary. You use your eyes and ears, and realize that "I may have to SHOOT today." You don't have to be armed in this state but if you are armed you should be in Condition Yellow. You should always be in Yellow whenever you are in unfamiliar surroundings or among people you don't know. You can remain in Yellow for long periods, as long as you are able to "Watch your six". In Yellow, you are "taking in" surrounding information in a relaxed but alert manner, like a continuous 360 degree radar sweep.

Orange
    - Specific alert. Something is not quite right and has gotten your attention. Your radar has picked up a specific alert. You shift your primary focus to determine if there is a threat (but you do not drop your six). Your mindset shifts to "I may have to shoot HIM today." In Condition Orange, you set a mental trigger: "If that goblin does "x", I will need to stop him." Your pistol usually remains holstered in this state. Staying in Orange can be a bit of a mental strain, but you can stay in it for as long as you need to. If the threat proves to be nothing, you shift back to Condition Yellow.

Red - Condition Red is fight. Your mental trigger has been "tripped" (established back in Condition Orange). You take appropriate action.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by MarcS View Post
    Maybe you should find a place that teaches not only a streetable form of unarmed combat, but also teaches how to command a situation verbally.
    Jay5oh,

Come to Pittsburgh this summer and bring your GF.

http://www.fireinstitute.org/fire_tactics_one.htm

http://www.fireinstitute.org/fire_co...se_handgun.htm

(Philadelphia County)

Never trained with you guys at FIRE, but they do have a good reputation and their syllabus seems to be complete. Just bring someone you can train with afterwards because unarmed skills are as perishable as armed skills.

The majority of my non-gun combat training is through Nick Hughes.

I hope you didnlt turn your back to him at any time?
    Never took my eyes off of him. I backed up and around the explorer.

What happened here is you got to condition orange, then condition brown. Condition Brown is something i added to the good colonel's color codes. Condition brown is where you blow bud into your skivvies because you realize you made a mistake in condition orange and are unable to come up with an immediate solution to your "ifs".
    I understand what your saying and please don't take this the wrong way. I didn't make any mistakes. I parked my vehicle and exited attempting to go into my home. It's sad that in todays society you can't walk into your home without having to size up your surroundings.

Do you by any chance practice a practical martial art? Maybe you should.
    Not currently, in the past yes.

......but also teaches how to command a situation verbally.
    I've been working on that both armed and unarmed.

You got lucky tonight.
    Again, I know what you mean and please don't take this the wrong way.. Is a considered lucky he didn't have a potential shootout when all he did was go someplace and return home. Is it too much to ask? I'm of the leave me alone I'll leave you alone theory.

Thank you.
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast