Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Gen 4 Glock 17

(Susquehanna County)

Default Gen 4 Glock 17

Now resides in my stable replacing a Gen 2 Glock 19. The 19 had become a nightstand gun, and although I compete with nearly all my handguns, NOT this one! One black and blue palm heel was enough!
    Anyhow it got its initial try-out at the range yesterday. 50 rounds of CCI Blazer and 50 rounds of Winchester hollow points, all swallowed and easily spat out. Had a few ejected cases hit my forehead.

Inexplicably the point of impact was way left of the point of aim. Not sure if it was me or the gun. I'll have to delve into that further. But I liked not getting my hand pinched, I liked having the magazines fall free!

Now if only Glock would mate a G19 slide and barrel assembly with a G17 frame they'd have a winner. They could even call it the Glock Kommandant!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Chester County)

Default Re: Gen 4 Glock 17

I would probably opt for a 17 if they got rid of those uncomfortable and stupid looking finger grooves. I've fired bot the 17 and 19 gen 4's and can't understand why they continue with the finger grooves when they are such a nuisance.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    I would probably opt for a 17 if they got rid of those uncomfortable and stupid looking finger grooves. I've fired bot the 17 and 19 gen 4's and can't understand why they continue with the finger grooves when they are such a nuisance.
    The grooves file right off.

(Lancaster County)

Enjoy the new purchase, I'm sure you'll get used to it
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Now if only Glock would mate a G19 slide and barrel assembly with a G17 frame they'd have a winner. They could even call it the Glock Kommandant!
    If you haven't ever checked out a FNS 9 you should, as it is the size gun you are talking about...No pinch, fast mag changes are a breeze with the longer grip and wide built in mag funnel. Also has slick black chrome metal mags. It is one of my favorite striker fired guns. Has a great balanced feel in the hand IMHO.

Enjoy your new G 17. I carry mine a lot. As for the hand pinch on the G 19, I put the Vickers base plates on my G19 & 23 mags. That ended the hand pinch. I can now drop the mag & slam another one in without adjusting my grip. The price went way up since I got mine, but they're about $18/5 now.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

I shoot left with mine sometimes. I think it has to do with the trigger safety. When I do it, I think I'm not pulling the trigger straight back, I'm pushing it to the left just slightly. Since the face of the trigger isn't one piece and smooth I think it makes it easier to push left with a right handed shooter. I think this is why most people shoot left with Glocks. My theory anyway.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Bucks County)

Shoot left-handed and see if POI strikes right, or centered. Either one indicates trigger control or some anticipatory act with the wrist, I believe. Or even follow-through...

(Tioga County)

Might shoots left typically. Personally I don't think it has ever been right since it left the factory(the sights were off for one thing). Compared to shooting a Gen 3, I have never been consistent shooting it and have junked using it in IDPA. It's just a pistol I have never gotten in the groove using and shooting well to my satisfaction compared to other pistols. I think one thing that would help is some Talon grips or skater tape. One trick I found to shoot it better was to use the euro style finger grip on the trigger guard.

Anyways, moving onto the VP9 and PPQ for now. This one I might turn into a project pistol.

In my opinion Glock is falling behind the competition some.