Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Erie County)

Default Re: LTCF 2016 questions

Quote Originally Posted by fm2 View Post
    Yes, they even sent detectives to my work place. After many months they said no.

In short I was treated with total suspicion. This was 1991, so was long ago.

My experience back then makes me extremely dubious now. I lived in Bucks county for a while and getting a permit was smooth and easy.

As it seems I will be stuck in philadelphia now, I have finally accepted that I may just need to try in Philly, but I dread it and hope I am not just wasting my time. In the past the city did whatever it wanted.
    Good luck!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Good luck!
    Something else I do not know; does Philly still require you go for a shooting test? If they still do so be it, but I see no mention of it on the application, and I am wondering about the interview with the detectives.

These 2 things greatly added to the time the whole thing required. Was much more than 45 days.

(Philadelphia County)

I don't recall PhillyPD ever requiring any kind of shooting test but it would not surprise me if they tried such a thing.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    I don't recall PhillyPD ever requiring any kind of shooting test but it would not surprise me if they tried such a thing.
    They did in 1991 when they had me jump through hoops for a few months before denying the permit. Also had interview with NE detectives ( I wonder if they still require you to go for the interview) and sending detectives to visit my workplace.

Searching the web I read that the cost is 25$, not 20 as sated on the application. I'd also like to know if that is true. I don't care about the 5$ but I'd hate to get a money order for 20, go to submit the app, and be told I must come back with 25$.

Maybe it's all straightforward now, but my ugly experience years ago has left me very skeptical.

(Philadelphia County)

I'm not sure about whether or not the price has been changed.Where did you have to go to for their shooting test back in 91?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    I'm not sure about whether or not the price has been changed.Where did you have to go to for their shooting test back in 91?
    They sent me to a range off state road not too far from the Tacony bridge. Not sure if the place is still there. Was typical 7 yard shooting test.

The detective interview was on Harbison Ave, NE Detectives. Same guys were sent to my workplace.

The price thing has me curious as I read one guy saying it is really 25...and, the application still has the 2 references to supply even though since 2014 ( I think) it has been NOT a requirement ( though I hear without them , they reject you anyway).

So, I could see them changing the price and not updating the form, so they can tell to you to GTFO when you try submit the application.

(Delaware County)

~snip~

Searching the web I read that the cost is 25$, not 20 as sated on the application. I'd also like to know if that is true. I don't care about the 5$ but I'd hate to get a money order for 20, go to submit the app, and be told I must come back with 25$.

Maybe it's all straightforward now, but my ugly experience years ago has left me very skeptical.
    Thanks for the reply!

Hey I also heard the cost is actually 25$, not the 20$ listed on the form. I just want to have it right; I could easily imagine them saying, sorry, we need a MO for 25....bye! Just to add to the hassle.
    The statewide legal price for a PA LTCF is $20.

(Philadelphia County)

FM please read around here, there are a lot of threads on getting a license in Phila.

Price is $20.

Interviews are done at the GPU when you apply. Basically you orally answer the questions on the form.

Your background investigation is done through the systems, nobody contacts anybody else.

There is no marksman test.

If you're not employed, say so. Employment is not a requirement.

Disability is not a disqualifier.

Weather they like it or not, Philadelphia, is in a Shall Issue state.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Philadelphia County)

Also, don't forget to bring the proof of residency documents. I suggest bringing more than required 2 just in case. They will refuse your proof of residency docs if your name is not exactly as it appears on your driver's license, if your address is misspelled in any way or if the utility bill or bank statement is more than 3 months old. They will copy what they need an return the originals to you.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12