Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default LTCF 2016 questions

In short, I am aware the PA is a "shall issue" state but in the 90's, while working a job that required me to deposit cash often and at night, I applied for a permit and after jumping through hoops was denied.

Shooting tests, interviews, detective sent to my place of employment; no good. Denied.

Been researching what I can on the web, but I am still very doubtful. I have heard that the city must now comply with state laws, but I am skeptic.

Also I have a disability and fear this will be used as an excuse to deny me a permit. I have non epileptic seizures; they happen more often than epileptic seizures but I get a roughly 15 minute "warning aura" before one happens.

I'm really just trying to determine if applying for a permit in the city is worth it, or if they have reverted to their old ways and I will be humored while they deny the permit anyway. Travelling into the city is difficult for me and I rather dread this whole thing.

Thanks is advance to anyone who can help me with this. I really appreciate help with this.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: LTCF 2016 questions

Why were you denied in in 90s? Do you have a criminal history?

(Philadelphia County)

They routinely denied in Philly for years. I have no record, not even a single parking ticket.

I have heard that the city must now actually obey the law, but the law never stopped them in the past.

One concern is I fear the will deny e due to my disability, as an excuse to say I am not fit to have a permit or some such cooked up "reason".

Of course I do not how far they stretch the law in the present day. maybe they really do conform the law, but I would not be at all surprised if they simply do what they want, as they always did.

In 1994 I had moved to Bucks and got a permit there with no problems. The police were even polite to me, unlike the ugly attitudes I got in Philly.

So, just how "obligated" is the city to issue a permit? The state is a "shall issue" but Philly has always been it's own world.

Quote Originally Posted by fm2 View Post
    They routinely denied in Philly for years. I have no record, not even a single parking ticket.

I have heard that the city must now actually obey the law, but the law never stopped them in the past.

One concern is I fear the will deny e due to my disability, as an excuse to say I am not fit to have a permit or some such cooked up "reason".

Of course I do not how far they stretch the law in the present day. maybe they really do conform the law, but I would not be at all surprised if they simply do what they want, as they always did.

In 1994 I had moved to Bucks and got a permit there with no problems. The police were even polite to me, unlike the ugly attitudes I got in Philly.

So, just how "obligated" is the city to issue a permit? The state is a "shall issue" but Philly has always been it's own world.
    They have become a little better (like not mandating the reference portion anymore). Just bring the first page with a $20 moneyorder and you should be good. One thing that peeves me is that while they don't enforce the references anymore which never was a requirement, it appears they are still up to their old games of making you get prints, asking about tattoos/scars, and denying you on the character clause if you have parking tickets. With any luck bill SB1330 will get passed and allow us to sue cities who don't follow the PA law.

Unfortunately your specific question is unique and unless someone else here has had some health issues and can confirm whether or not they were denied for those reasons, it would seem you're gonna have to take a trip to the city and wait and see if they issue it.

More information being discussed in this thread here http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=267086

Best of luck.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildbill990 View Post
    They have become a little better (like not mandating the reference portion anymore). Just bring the first page with a $20 moneyorder and you should be good. One thing that peeves me is that while they don't enforce the references anymore which never was a requirement, it appears they are still up to their old games of making you get prints, asking about tattoos/scars, and denying you on the character clause if you have parking tickets. With any luck bill SB1330 will get passed and allow us to sue cities who don't follow the PA law.

Unfortunately your specific question is unique and unless someone else here has had some health issues and can confirm whether or not they were denied for those reasons, it would seem you're gonna have to take a trip to the city and wait and see if they issue it.

More information being discussed in this thread here http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=267086

Best of luck.
    Thanks for the reply!

Hey I also heard the cost is actually 25$, not the 20$ listed on the form. I just want to have it right; I could easily imagine them saying, sorry, we need a MO for 25....bye! Just to add to the hassle.

(Erie County)

In short, I am aware the PA is a "shall issue" state but in the 90's, while working a job that required me to deposit cash often and at night, I applied for a permit and after jumping through hoops was denied.

Shooting tests, interviews, detective sent to my place of employment; no good. Denied.

Been researching what I can on the web, but I am still very doubtful. I have heard that the city must now comply with state laws, but I am skeptic.

Also I have a disability and fear this will be used as an excuse to deny me a permit. I have non epileptic seizures; they happen more often than epileptic seizures but I get a roughly 15 minute "warning aura" before one happens.

I'm really just trying to determine if applying for a permit in the city is worth it, or if they have reverted to their old ways and I will be humored while they deny the permit anyway. Travelling into the city is difficult for me and I rather dread this whole thing.

Thanks is advance to anyone who can help me with this. I really appreciate help with this.
    Interviews? Detectives? Maybe you should just reapply. It can't be that bad now. I seriously hope not. Most of the counties up here in the wilderness issue them while you wait.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    Interviews? Detectives? Maybe you should just reapply. It can't be that bad now. I seriously hope not. Most of the counties up here in the wilderness issue them while you wait.
    Yes, they even sent detectives to my work place. After many months they said no.

In short I was treated with total suspicion. This was 1991, so was long ago.

My experience back then makes me extremely dubious now. I lived in Bucks county for a while and getting a permit was smooth and easy.

As it seems I will be stuck in philadelphia now, I have finally accepted that I may just need to try in Philly, but I dread it and hope I am not just wasting my time. In the past the city did whatever it wanted.

(Philadelphia County)

Yes, they even sent detectives to my work place. After many months they said no.

In short I was treated with total suspicion. This was 1991, so was long ago.

My experience back then makes me extremely dubious now. I lived in Bucks county for a while and getting a permit was smooth and easy.

As it seems I will be stuck in philadelphia now, I have finally accepted that I may just need to try in Philly, but I dread it and hope I am not just wasting my time. In the past the city did whatever it wanted.

You are relating to a time when a person had to show proof of why they wanted/needed to carry a firearm in Philadelphia. Simple self defense was not a valid reason. That has all changed. While it may not be as quick and simple as in some other counties, you shouldn't have a problem now. There isn't a medical requirement, so I don't think your seizures should be an issue to getting an LTCF. As to when you are carrying in public, only you can answer that.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    You are relating to a time when a person had to show proof of why they wanted/needed to carry a firearm in Philadelphia. Simple self defense was not a valid reason. That has all changed. While it may not be as quick and simple as in some other counties, you shouldn't have a problem now. There isn't a medical requirement, so I don't think your seizures should be an issue to getting an LTCF. As to when you are carrying in public, only you can answer that.
    Thank you so much for your reply!

The seizure issue is really not an issue at all, as I get a roughly 15 minute warning and can always make sure I do not suffer a black out in public ( it is a black out, so to speak, not a true seizure like epileptics suffer) but I am suspicious of the city. Hope I am wrong but I imagine them seizing upon anything they can to deny.

The application asks about employment, and due to this I am unemployed. I hate to lie but I am loathe to say I am on disability for this reason.n The application asks nothing about disability; thus I am reluctant to offer this info.

(Philadelphia County)

Thank you so much for your reply!

The seizure issue is really not an issue at all, as I get a roughly 15 minute warning and can always make sure I do not suffer a black out in public ( it is a black out, so to speak, not a true seizure like epileptics suffer) but I am suspicious of the city. Hope I am wrong but I imagine them seizing upon anything they can to deny.

The application asks about employment, and due to this I am unemployed. I hate to lie but I am loathe to say I am on disability for this reason.n The application asks nothing about disability; thus I am reluctant to offer this info.
    A simple " I am on disability and don't work at present" should suffice. I am sure you aren't the only one on disability with a LTCF. I am pretty sure the HIPPA laws prevent any further discussion on your issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast