Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Default Re: Keeping a round chambered

Quote Originally Posted by Impulse1215 View Post
    Carrying a shield 9 with safety.
    Nothing to worry about.

I understand your apprehension, it took me a little while, not quite as long as you but a while to get over it.

With a safety, as long as you practice disengaging the safety when you might need it, and also practice doing safety checks so you are sure the gun is in the firing condition you want, you'll be fine.

I carry a gun now with no safety and I'm carrying chambered. There's no chance to rack a slide in an attack and you may not even have both hands available to do so.

Try it, nothing will happen and no one will die...and you'll become more confident. If you're going to carry, you need to get over the fear. If your gun is not safe to carry chambered because it fails drop tests or something like that, get a new gun.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Carry a revolver....end of thread
    Carry 2 revolvers since their capacity sucks.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Carry 2 revolvers since their capacity sucks.
    Unless your revolver looks like this
    V V V V V V V

in which case, forget CC.

Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(York County)

I've been around guns for 40+ years. Grew up with them as a 'farm kid'...

Only recently did I ever get training other than grandpa saying "point it at what you want to kill and pull the trigger". That training was done by active LEO's.

Their thought on the matter? "Any cop would always carry locked & loaded, no safety." Seeing as how LEO is far more likely to actually use their firearm, has far more training than me, etc. I tend to trust their viewpoint.

For myself, my two carry pistols are both striker-fire with no "external" safety. I always carry with one in the chamber. That's my choice, and your choice is your choice. But for me, knowing it will go "bang" when I pull the trigger without further ado is the key thing.

FWIW, I've never had an ND nor even close to it. All my different holster options are well designed, cover the trigger, and I don't have a moment's worry my gun is going to go off unless I mean it to.

Having said that, even knowing the stats & mechanics of it, I would probably be more 'worried' about carrying a hammer-fired gun with the hammer back. I also don't like flying, even though I know statistically I'm in more danger driving up the road to the mini-mart. Some things are just 'psychology' and you gotta do what works for you.

KC

(Bucks County)

I don't press a trigger. I pull it back until I hear a loud noise and feel a recoil.

(Chester County)

Great replies to the OP from everyone!

Remarkably, I have nothing to add....
    - bamboomaster

(Berks County)

Carrying a shield 9 with safety.
    You have no worries with that gun. It can be fully loaded and it won't go bang on its own. The safety isn't needed so that is extra protection ment just for your situation. It's a nice small none protruding, won't get knocked off by accident safety. By a Supertuk and go for it.

always one in the tube, keltec p-11 heavy pull DAO and no safeties. 5 years and it's never gone off without my permission. always made sure my holsters wouldn't snag the trigger and take care putting it away.
    if the magazine drops out or it jams. that first round should always fire. if it doesn't, (the world wants me gone and) the knife comes out.
    every firearm i have is loaded, they either have the bolt back, ready to feed a round or the action closed, safety on with a round in the chamber.
    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    These are the unanswered mysteries of the POOFA universe.
    like why everyone calls it poo-fah instead of P.A.F.O.A.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Ok guys this is my dilemma. For the past year I have been taking some carry classes, as well as shooting. I have been cc'ing for about the past six months now on a steady basis. I practice holstering as well as re-holstering on a daily basis. What my issue is however; I just can't muster up the balls to roll around with one in the pipe. Any suggestions?
    No one here can talk you into it, it's just something you'll figure out that you're ready for on your own. Or not. Like many have said you can change your mind at any time but we're not to be the ones to get you there.

It's a risk based decision. Some think the risk of an accident outweighs the risk of being caught without one in the pipe, especially considering that most people will never face a situation where they need to deploy a gun.

I personally don't see the point in carrying a gun without one chambered. It's also backed up by my personal experience of having to draw on someone..., I didn't have time to rack one.

Don't rush it. Weigh the risks, the pros and cons, and give a try a couple times a week. No need to go all in.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    like why everyone calls it poo-fah instead of P.A.F.O.A.
    At least it's better than POOFTER

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast