Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Default Re: Keeping a round chambered

Many years ago, when I first started carrying regularly, I was nervous about carrying a 1911 loaded, cocked and locked. So I bought a Para-Ordnance LDA, which was advertised as double action only. Plus, it also had a grip safety and a thumb safety.

Then I figured out (sort of) how the LDAs work. They are essentially pre-cocked with an external hammer that's down, but the internal mechanism is ready to rock. Once I understood that, I went back to my (Army) roots and just started carrying a regular 1911.

If you're really not comfortable carrying a loaded firearm, so be it. Practice the Israeli draw regularly. I've read that experienced Israeli agents can draw, rack the slide and fire faster than many people can draw a 1911, sweep off the thumb safety, and fire.

Carry in the configuration you're comfortable with. Just remember once you're in a situation causing you to draw your mind and body do strange things. This is where motor reflex takes over and it's all about muscle memory. Practice a lot and you won't have to worry because your body will operate reflexively.

And Greywolf is right about the Israeli draw if practiced properly.

(Allegheny County)

May I add that you need to stick with one or the other. Otherwise you'll forget which way you're carrying and when it counts the most you'll either have needlessly racked the slide or pulled the trigger and have it go "click" instead of "bang".

The only gun I needlessly worry about is my P32 that I carry in a ankle holster. In my mind I know it can't go off as long as it's in the holster, but I often sweep people when I'm wearing it (when sitting and crossing my legs).
    Toujours prêt

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    May I add that you need to stick with one or the other. Otherwise you'll forget which way you're carrying and when it counts the most you'll either have needlessly racked the slide or pulled the trigger and have it go "click" instead of "bang".

The only gun I needlessly worry about is my P32 that I carry in a ankle holster. In my mind I know it can't go off as long as it's in the holster, but I often sweep people when I'm wearing it (when sitting and crossing my legs).
    Is someone technically "swept" when in line with a firearm that IS NOT held by a human hand? If we believe that and follow the "every gun is loaded until verified" rule, you're being swept by dozens of hand guns each time you walk past the gun counter at you LGS. Just a random thought.

(Delaware County)

When I carry my Ruger p89 I carry with one in the chamber, safety off and hammer down. When I carry my LCP I carry with the chamber empty. I use an inexpensive pocket holster, that is of a surprisingly good quality, for the LCP. I have mostly been carrying the LCP lately. Sometimes I carry my Smith model ten, I have all chambers charged on that. I know the adage about carrying everything in the same condition but I feel better carrying the LCP without one chambered. It is usually because I am in a place where I dont expect something to happen that does not give me a few seconds to rack the slide.

Whatever you decide won't be unchangeable. I did not carry a semi-auto fully loaded for a while because I was uncomfortable. I changed my mind after doing some testing of my own on the p89. I tried to get it to fire without pulling the trigger in a semi-controlled environment. I have not tried that with the LCP. I may at some point but it dosent seem as tough as the p89 so I may never do it. I don't agree that a gun is useless unless carried condition one. I do agree that there may be a specific incident that might happen to someone at sometime that ends badly because a gun was not carried with one in the chamber. I also don't think there is a right or wrong way to carry in regard to having a round chambered.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    Is someone technically "swept" when in line with a firearm that IS NOT held by a human hand? If we believe that and follow the "every gun is loaded until verified" rule, you're being swept by dozens of hand guns each time you walk past the gun counter at you LGS. Just a random thought.
    Not to derail the thread but you are not being swept by a stationary gun. You would be walking into the path of the barrel.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

Don't stand behind me. Ever. If you do, you'll be "swept" by my under-arm shoulder rig.

It's interesting how some configurations are acceptable and others aren't.

P3AT in a DeSantis pocket holster has a long pull to get from partially cocked to full cock and release of striker. Chambered round at all times. The only good idea about an empty chamber is if someone overpowers you, takes the gun and tries to shoot you with it. It will give you a half-second to take remedial action, if you can come up with one. Want safety in pocket carry? Never have anything else in the pocket but the gun in its holster.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    I did qualify my post by saying "needlessly worry". On a scale of 1-10 (10 being most worried) it's about a 3.
    A bunch of us shoot High Power practice every Sunday. Most of the guys carry. We kind of joke about how when they are in the prone position the muzzle of their sidearm is pointed at people behind the firing line.
    Toujours prêt

(Lancaster County)

Carry a revolver....end of thread
    Last edited by SgtRecon; November 7th, 2016 at 06:51 PM.

(Cumberland County)

I have only DA/SA pistols.
    I carry +1 with the hammer down, safety off. Draw, point (no time to aim when used for social work), trigger press. Sure, the 1st trigger pull is long, but you're not going to remember that when you need to send round #2.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast