Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Default Re: Keeping a round chambered

it's important the gun comes out fast, but only for the operator.
    holstering a weapon is irrelevant.
    desantis leather iwb. between my belt and fat there is a good bit of retention. comfortable and almost impossible to holster after i've drawn.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by poconojoe View Post
    You will most certainly never have a chance to chamber a round, fact. I carried mine without one in the pipe and went about all my activities. Wrestled with the dog, in and out of car etc. That made me confident that it would not be fired under day to day lifestyle. Did this for about three months, than carried with one in the pipe. After researching my chances of being able to rack the slide, it came down to carrying one in the pipe or not at all.
    I was up in the air about it until I read something somewhere saying if you are uncomfortable carrying +1, carry it around without a round chambered daily for a month or two, or 6 or 12, and keep track of how many times the trigger is accidently pulled. Once you determine that was 0, carry with one in the pipe.

BTW I carry XDS .45 most of the time I am not at work for the last year +1 and have never had an AD. It does not have a thumb safety, but does have a drop, grip, and trigger safety. Leather / kydex IWB holster that covers the trigger guard entirely.
    My wife has a M&P shield. IF I was to carry it I would carry it +1 with thumb safety off.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by robh View Post
    I was up in the air about it until I read something somewhere saying if you are uncomfortable carrying +1, carry it around without a round chambered daily for a month or two, or 6 or 12, and keep track of how many times the trigger is accidently pulled. Once you determine that was 0, carry with one in the pipe.
    That reminds me of the kid in my platoon in bootcamp. We got our rack assignments and he had a top bunk. He actually told the drill instructor he was scared he would roll out of the top bunk. The drill instructor asked him how many times he has fallen out of his bed at home, the kid said "none". The drill instructor yelled, "So why the hell would you start falling out of bed now".

Back on subject, however you carry it, just keep the trigger covered and the only way that gun will fire is if you are caught in a fire. The most dangerous part, by far, is holstering and unholstering a loaded gun. As was discussed above, by very meticulous (even anal) when holstering, don't holster it while you are distracted. Holster and unholster like you are disarming a bomb.
    The Hostler

(Erie County)

[QUOTE=ray h;3441727]That reminds me of the kid in my platoon in bootcamp. We got our rack assignments and he had a top bunk. He actually told the drill instructor he was scared he would roll out of the top bunk. The drill instructor asked him how many times he has fallen out of his bed at home, the kid said "none". The drill instructor yelled, "So why the hell would you start falling out of bed now".

Now that is pretty funny!

(Monroe County)

If your not going to carry one in the chamber i suggest you practice racking the slide using your belt in case you only have one hand when you have to draw.
    "fom my cold dead hands"

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
    I carry +1 otherwise it is just a paperweight.
    Or a "blunt object".
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

(Delaware County)

I just read a meme the other day:

If you carry without a round in the chamber, you may spend the rest of your life racking one in...

My 2¢
    YMMV
    etc...

Quote Originally Posted by spinhat View Post
    If your not going to carry one in the chamber i suggest you practice racking the slide using your belt in case you only have one hand when you have to draw.
    i never even thought of that.
    if your going to carry a pisol shaped rock, might as well give yourself the advantage. if u cant rack it, u can poke them.
    Attachment 91561
    There is no way to make it out alive...

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    That training was done by active LEO's.

Their thought on the matter? "Any cop would always carry locked & loaded, no safety."
    As if we needed further proof that cops (in general) don't know anything about guns.

That expression comes from the military. It dates back at least as far as WW2, and possibly to WW1. And the expression is not "locked and loaded," it's "loaded and locked." And it means, with a round in the chamber, firearm cocked, and safety applied. There is no such thing as "locked and loaded, no safety." It's an impossibility.

(Lancaster County)

Anyone call it a "brick" yet?

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast