Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: AR47 Rifle Build

Quote Originally Posted by IrocGuns View Post
    I have to say interesting thread with a lot of great opinions, recommendations and alternatives. I went a different route and got a century c308 - ammo is a bit pricier than the 556 and 762x39 but so far I like the rifle, and it costs about the same as an entry-mid priced ar or ak at under 600 on sale. mags are much cheaper. I've only put a few hundred rounds through so far but it has been issue free and accurate enough to hit 8" steel at 200 yards consistently which is fun. the rail is nice which the earlier hk clones didn't have. anyway food for thought, a nice alternative to ak/ar for a not too expensive semi auto rifle.
    Good to know. I have a ton of ammo from my AKs so that is why I went this route. I don't own anything in 308 or else I would have probably done the same. Thanks

(Allegheny County)

Oh, I don't want a semi auto .308 as an alternative to a 7.62x39 - it will be in addition to!
    I have the bolt action .308 so now I have an excuse to buy another rifle to go with that ammo!

Maybe next year. Or the following. LOL!

I promised my wife a lightweight build. As it stands I have the complete lowers for two builds - one for her and one for me.
    I didn't know what to do with mine until this thread really.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

The issue I see with 7.62x39 in a AR platform is magazines, they are known for reliability issues, also known for short bolt life.

If it were me I'd go 300 blackout, as the only thing that needs changed is the barrel. Mags, bolt etc all the same as a 5.56.

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    The issue I see with 7.62x39 in a AR platform is magazines, they are known for reliability issues, also known for short bolt life.

If it were me I'd go 300 blackout, as the only thing that needs changed is the barrel. Mags, bolt etc all the same as a 5.56.
    I am keeping an eye out for both of these. I have on ASC mag and it has survived a few mag dumps. C-Products are next on my list for testing

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post

Granted, I haven't been researching all that long, but the bigger issue seems to be light primer strikes on steel case ammo.
    Something about the firing pin or buffer/spring I believe. It's possible that issue has been addressed by most makers though - I'm still digging into it.

Sort of defeats the purpose of being able to use more affordable ammo (for me) if that's a problem, but I see less mention of it in more recent reviews.

"Cost" is why I'm personally avoiding 300 Blackout. I have no interest in adding a new caliber to the mix - especially one that costs so much and has no real benefit to ME. I realize it's a "wonder bullet", but I'm just not interested in it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Granted, I haven't been researching all that long, but the bigger issue seems to be light primer strikes on steel case ammo.
    Something about the firing pin or buffer/spring I believe. It's possible that issue has been addressed by most makers though - I'm still digging into it.

Sort of defeats the purpose of being able to use more affordable ammo (for me) if that's a problem, but I see less mention of it in more recent reviews.

"Cost" is why I'm personally avoiding 300 Blackout. I have no interest in adding a new caliber to the mix - especially one that costs so much and has no real benefit to ME. I realize it's a "wonder bullet", but I'm just not interested in it.
    Light primer strikes would be due to hammer spring, a heavy spring should solve the issue. Buffer and buffer spring depends on gas system and barrel port size, this is where it will get tricky if your having issues.

EM,

I picked up two of these just in case:
    http://www.blackriflearms.com/AR-762...g-Pin_p_9.html

This guy makes alot of stuff for the AR47s so it might be helpful for you. I want to get a midlength barrel and BCG from him eventually

(Clearfield County)

I got the extra power hammer spring for mine and haven't had a light primer strike yet, likewise I'm running a rifle buffer with an a1 stock and haven't had any cycling issues.

Building an AR in 7.62x39 is actually the smarter option these days compared to the absolute garbage AK's that cost $600.

(Lehigh County)

I recently put together an AR47 build. Ran less than 40 rounds through before the extractor broke. Has anyone else had issues with broken extractors or do you think it could have been a fluke? I am running a 7.62x39 aim surplus BCG.
    Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you. -Andrew Wilkow

Quote Originally Posted by xxthe_beastxx View Post
    I recently put together an AR47 build. Ran less than 40 rounds through before the extractor broke. Has anyone else had issues with broken extractors or do you think it could have been a fluke? I am running a 7.62x39 aim surplus BCG.
    I have heard that some people have issues with the extractors/bolts. I haven't had any with my AR stoner bcg though

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast