Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Cope's Importing 75 round AK drums (Norinco style)

Hey I wanted to pass this on, as I didn't know about it until today. Some interesting news for AK lovers.

Cope's Distributing is importing Bulgarian 75 round AK drums (7.62 x 39). They are just like the Chinese Norinco drums that hang down (they don't jut out like Romanian ones). Thay load from the rear and are winded up. This is a big deal as these type of drums were previously banned from importation.

Cope's is currently taking pre-orders. Allegedly these things are going to flood in. Some say they are simply copies of the Chinese drum, others are saying China is selling off their drums to Bulgaria who is simply stamping them with a "circle 10" and then selling them to US wholesalers.

Price is $160, which isn't great, but better than $200 plus for a 15 year old Norinco drum.

In theory, if enough come into the US, the price will have to drop market-wide. So I'm not sure if this is a "jump on it quick" or wait and see if the price goes down. Either way its awesome you don't have to rely on gunbroker and bidding wars to get a Chinese style drum.

http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/vie...er=asc&start=0

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Warsaw Pact; August 30th, 2008 at 03:32 PM. Reason: ,

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Cope's Importing 75 round AK drums (Norinco style)

the link didn't work for me. Does Copes know when they are coming in?

(Allegheny County)

Looks like its finally time to stock up on TSHTF equipment.

This is good news.

(Lackawanna County)

There is a pretty good discussion going on at the "other" forum.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=110195&page=1

The op's link is dead and when I tried to locate the thread in the forum, I couldnt access it. I do believe you have to be registered to view the Mag section.

Im am probably picking atleast one of these up. I really dont like the style of the Romanian drums. This will be my 1st drum, I dont even know if $160 will be a good deal or not. I understand the whole China/Bulgarian back story, but is $160 a good price? Some say it is, some say it isnt. What do you guys think?

(Monroe County)

I don't really think so... its all personal preference I guess. If you want to burn through 75 rounds that fast I guess go for it? you get 30 round steel mags for less then 10.00 a piece. Its a "cool to have" I guess but I wouldn't buy one if i still had my AK. not worth it. when they get down to the 100 range then maybe I'd consider it.

If anyone is worried about a "shtf" scenario where you need 75 rounds without a reload I think you need to be more worried about how many rounds you have total, not how many in a drum.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Montgomery County)

They are supposed to be on the web site within 2 weeks.

Im am probably picking atleast one of these up. I really dont like the style of the Romanian drums.
    The Romanian drums are cheaper- usually $120. However they jut forward funny and are loaded from the top one round at a time. I think the Chinese style drums are much more attractive (the way they look and hang). Plus they load from the rear much faster, and you don't have to wind them (putting tension on the spring) until its time to fire.

This will be my 1st drum, I dont even know if $160 will be a good deal or not. I understand the whole China/Bulgarian back story, but is $160 a good price? Some say it is, some say it isnt. What do you guys think?
    If you check out the AR15.com thread, the discussion is all over the place and goes in the wrong direction. The issues that come up are these:

1. Guys bragging how they bought Chinese drums for $30 back in 1994, so this is obviously a rip off. Wow! Stop the press! Based on that you'd be out of your mind to buy a drum for $160 right?? Ok, so should we wait around until the price drops to $30 again? Is the price of .308 or 7.62 x 39 going to drop to what it once was? Is the price of gas going to drop to what it was in 1994? So that whole angle is a moot.

2. You can get twelve or more 30 round AK mags for $160, so why get a drum? Again, the point is being missed. I don't try to blow through as many mags as I can at the range as fast as possible. I am not on patrol in Grozny or South Ossetia, so no, its not about stocking up no mags cheap for a future firefight. This is about a collector's item, something you possibly want badly for your AK but have never been able to locate one or find one for less than $200.

* So the bottom line, is $160 high? Yes absolutely. Does that make Cope's bad? No, that is pure capitalism. He knows there is a huge demand and limited supply. I don't know why everyone expected them to sell them for $44.99, this isn't Cuba or the DDR.

I'm just really not sure we are ever going to see these drums lower than $150 again. The demand is huge and the supply is limited, and can be cut off by the stroke of Obama's pen (depending on Nov). Let's say the price did drop $20 or $30 within a year, is it worth it to wait? So you skip eating out at Applebee's this month, make a small sacrifice.

As someone who has watched gunbroker for the past year and rarely seen a Norinco drum sell for less than $190, I think this is an interesting opportunity.

(Berks County)

75 round Romanian drums can still be had for around 125. I got mine for 75 a few months ago. So the price on those being what it is...this is still high. They're nice...but the cheaper Romanians work just as well.

Good find, though.

(Cumberland County)

Hey, whatever floats your boat. Personally, I would dread the thought of luggin that drum around, whatever the price.

I've already taken advantage of Cope's Hungarian 5 Mags + Pouch deal for $45:

http://www.copesdistributing.net/pro...roducts_id=859

Zero rust. Zero dings. Just some finish wear, which I find perfectly acceptable if not preferable. The bags vary in condition, but basically you are getting them for free. Copes has a $7 flat shipping fee, so it pays to load-up.

(Lackawanna County)

I agree with most comments that a drum is a little overkill. I for one am getting one as a novelty/AWB purchase. Warsaw, I do agree that this will be an interesting opportunity, due to the fact the they are Bulgarian made Chinese drums new for $160.

Like you said most chinese drums are 15 yrs old and are around $200 if not more. I for one may buy one for screwin around and one for "investment" purposes. I could buy a Norinco at $200+ or this for $160 and its the same damn thing.

Ill save my $40 and put it towards ammo.
    Last edited by Salt; August 31st, 2008 at 05:38 PM.