Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping

(Lancaster County)

Default Camping

Anyone have a list of campgrounds in PA that do not prohibit ccw?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Camping

Bump - Nobody goes camping?

(Philadelphia County)

Surprised this didn't get more responses, however unfortunately I don't know the answer.

One thing to keep in mind is that unless said camps are a legally off-limits place all they can do is ask you to leave.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

Only thing I can add is that you can't carry in State parks. (Where we do most of our camping)
    As I understand it, you can have your firearm in your vehicle or in your trailer/cabin/etc., but no walking around with it on you.

Any other campgrounds would be privately run and would have their own set of rules, however, I doubt there's a "list" of can and can't campgrounds.
    Best you can hope for is feedback from members who have personal knowledge of a gun-friendly campground. Myself, If I'm going to a private campground, I'm taking my handgun. If they somehow discover that I have it (I don't know how) and ask me to leave, I will (hey, it's their property, I'm just a guest), but I will also politely inform them that I will not be spending my hard-earned money at their campground again.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Best you can hope for is feedback from members who have personal knowledge of a gun-friendly campground.
    That's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks though.

(Allegheny County)

One of the best books my wife and I have found on camping is:

"The Best In Tent Camping - Pennsylvania" by Matt Willen

It has an incredable amount of information including diagrams of the campgrounds. (But nothing on CCW) Other than missing that little tid-bit of information I highly recommend it. Good luck - See ya in the woods!
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Only thing I can add is that you can't carry in State parks. (Where we do most of our camping)
    As I understand it, you can have your firearm in your vehicle or in your trailer/cabin/etc., but no walking around with it on you.
    As I read the regulations, the gun must be "encased." As far as I'm concerned, my fanny pack with integrated secret holster compartment is a "case." The park officials would have no reason to suspect otherwise. Just don't draw your gun in the park and you'll be OK. You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning repeatedly than needing to draw your gun anyway in a State Park campground. In my experience, criminals and psychos don't frequent them, and the bears limit themselves to the dumpsters.

(Allegheny County)

i dont know of a list, as empty said, you cant carry in a state park, however you can carry in a state forest.

here is a list of pa state forests.

[URL="http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/index.aspx"]

there are a few regulations as to camping though, such as needing permit if you stay in one spot for more than a day etc...

i usually go backpacking so i'm not really much of a campground person, otherwise i'd offer you more help.

oh...army corps of engineer campgrounds only have a provision against loaded firearms, so if you wanted to carry a seperate mag or speedloader, you technically arent breaking the rules.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    As I read the regulations, the gun must be "encased." As far as I'm concerned, my fanny pack with integrated secret holster compartment is a "case." The park officials would have no reason to suspect otherwise. Just don't draw your gun in the park and you'll be OK. You have a better chance of getting hit by lightning repeatedly than needing to draw your gun anyway in a State Park campground. In my experience, criminals and psychos don't frequent them, and the bears limit themselves to the dumpsters.
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...wrulesregs.pdf

if you look at that pdf in section 11.215, paragraph 5, it basically says that failing to keep a firearm in your vehicle or residence is prohibited.

paragraph 4 says something about possessing an uncased device, however paragraph 5 basically trumps it.

(Bedford County)

99% of the camp grounds in Bedford County are gun friendly. Shawnee State Park is a no-no, but it is also a waste of time IMHO.

Along the river?

I carry 100%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast