Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Dove Hunting - Chester County

I am new to the area and I am looking for spots to dove hunt in Chester County. Please help. Thanks

(Chester County)

Default Re: Dove Hunting - Chester County

I see your info mentions you are near Valley Forge....If so then you are not far from the state game lands near Limerick power plant. Take rte 422 north, get off at the Limerick/Linfield exit. Take a left once off the highway, go under the highway, then take the first right onto Linfield road(you will see a GMC truck dealership on the immediate right hand side, and a Wawa on the left. Take Linfield road about 1 mile, you will go over a bridge that goes over some railroad tracks. Take a left at the first street past the bridge(I do not remember the name of the street). This game lands is all fields and hedgerows and is perfect for dove hunting. Its also stocked by the PGC with pheasants during pheasant season so you can go there as well at that time but be forewarned, if you go there during pheasant season(especially on opening morning) if you do not get there well before daylight you will have to park about a 1/2 mile from the place. Its a good place for pheasant but since its one of the only places around that gets stocked, its gets hammered very hard the first week or so. You will not have a field to yourself after about the first half hour so be prepared for that. I still like to go there on opening day though. For doves you should be good to go and shouldn't have too much competition.
    Last edited by Poonie; August 31st, 2008 at 07:54 PM.

(Delaware County)

Poonie,
    I stopped at the game lands in Limerick the other day, there was one other truck there. No one else around and I just sat in the shade with my 20GA. Saw 7 doves flying over the fields but nothing in range. The other guys shot a couple times but I never saw them. Maybe next time there will be more doves. Is there any specific area that you find to be a better fly-way there or do you walk?

Mark

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    Poonie,
    I stopped at the game lands in Limerick the other day, there was one other truck there. No one else around and I just sat in the shade with my 20GA. Saw 7 doves flying over the fields but nothing in range. The other guys shot a couple times but I never saw them. Maybe next time there will be more doves. Is there any specific area that you find to be a better fly-way there or do you walk?

Mark
    I actually only hunted doves there one time, many moons ago, so can't really answer your question. I'd say to look around and take note of where the doves are flying and how many you see in one area and in what direction and you should be able to for a trend and get a flyway nailed down. The big field adjacent to the river on the left side(from the parking lot) would probably be a good place to start.

(Chester County)

I'm in the same boat, brother. I'm new to Chester County (Exton) and am dying to get some good bird hunting in this season. All I've heard from people is that the public lands around here get hammered pretty hard.

I need to get in with a group that has a hookup on private land.

Being new to an area really sucks some times.

(Montgomery County)

I'm new to the area and hunting as well. I'd love to go just to see what it is all about if anyone wants to have a tag along. I didn't even know there were game lands in limerick...

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by lelandEOD View Post
    I'm in the same boat, brother. I'm new to Chester County (Exton) and am dying to get some good bird hunting in this season. All I've heard from people is that the public lands around here get hammered pretty hard.

I need to get in with a group that has a hookup on private land.

Being new to an area really sucks some times.
    Being in exton you're not too far from gamelands 43 by french creek state park. They have some decent fields out there too. When they cut the corn there are doves all over. I bring the dog out there sometimes and a half dozen pheasants. There's a farm by me that I buy them from and then let them go so Guiness get's a chance to actually get some birds

(Delaware County)

Hey guys,
    Although I haven't hunted it, I parked the car and walked some of the open hunting area at Marsh Creek State Park, which is right off RT. 100 basically in Exton, and saw a TON of small game, including doves. Also I know they release a bunch of doves at Evansburg State Park which is very close as well. Count me in if we would all decide to take take a day around here someplace.
    "Things have taken a turn for the surreal." - Capt. John Miller

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigMan1980 View Post
    Hey guys,
    Although I haven't hunted it, I parked the car and walked some of the open hunting area at Marsh Creek State Park, which is right off RT. 100 basically in Exton, and saw a TON of small game, including doves. Also I know they release a bunch of doves at Evansburg State Park which is very close as well. Count me in if we would all decide to take take a day around here someplace.
    If you want to head out that way sometime when you're free I'd be happy to tag along. Nothing like 2 people who have no idea what they are doing teaming up to make things even more interesting lol

BTW: Let me know when you want to go to the range again.

(Delaware County)

THat would be fun to meet up somewhere. Maybe we will have to sometime soon. I busy for the next two weekends but I will post on here as soon as I have some free time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast