Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Tricky CC question for ya

ok so i just got my LTCF on Friday. been carrying everyday, but this just occurred to me. my office is located beneath a district court. am i still ok to carry? i mean, i doubt ill have any trouble with anyone, and i know the judge, so if he sees me, he'll just say something about it, not go over board. the only thing im wary of is on court day when the place is over run with LEOs. all it takes is one on a power trip

(Berks County)

Default Re: Tricky CC question for ya

If you don't set foot in the court, why would there be any issue? I'm confused . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BFit70 View Post
    ok so i just got my LTCF on Friday. been carrying everyday, but this just occurred to me. my office is located beneath a district court. am i still ok to carry? i mean, i doubt ill have any trouble with anyone, and i know the judge, so if he sees me, he'll just say something about it, not go over board. the only thing im wary of is on court day when the place is over run with LEOs. all it takes is one on a power trip
    There's no way to avoid cops on powertrips.

There's also no explicit protection for people who accidentally fuck up after the government fucks up (i.e. in many magisterial district court areas, they might put a sign on the door but there's no way to check your weapon without first committing a 913 crime.)

Well, except the sign-posting exception:
    (d) Posting of notice.--Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each courthouse or other building containing a court facility and each court facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a)(1) with respect to a court facility if the notice was not so posted at each public entrance to the courthouse or other building containing a court facility and at the court facility unless the person had actual notice of the provisions of subsection (a).
    But this doesn't matter unless you know you're in a 'court facility'.

Note:
    "Court facility." The courtroom of a court of record; a courtroom of a community court; the courtroom of a magisterial district judge; a courtroom of the Philadelphia Municipal Court; a courtroom of the Pittsburgh Magistrates Court; a courtroom of the Traffic Court of Philadelphia; judge's chambers; witness rooms; jury deliberation rooms; attorney conference rooms; prisoner holding cells; offices of court clerks, the district attorney, the sheriff and probation and parole officers; and any adjoining corridors.
    I'm not sure how we concluded what an adjoining corridor was, but it's definitely been ruled upon by the courts at least once (see: some other thread where we talked about this).

I.e. If the magesterial district judge is in one building and the prisoner holding cell is in another, is the who world a corridor that is a court facility?

Anyway, assuming that there is a sign posted on the building and not just the courtroom/adjoining corridors or where ever they might end in a broad understanding of 'adjoining corridors', then it's just the courtroom and maybe the immediate hallways preceding. Since there must be an elevator and stairs between you and them, it's not going to be a problem.

It really is tricky given how ridiculous the government can be.

I would think that if you do not have to pass thru a security checkpoint to get to your office, you are OK...just my .02...if that's worth anything

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I would think that if you do not have to pass thru a security checkpoint to get to your office, you are OK...just my .02...if that's worth anything
    It's not, because the state's courts can't even uniformly provide lockboxes, let alone checkpoints. I have yet to see a magisterial district judge's office or related parts of the facility have any security, where I could not just walk a firearm or dangerous weapon into a courtroom at any time I wish.

Also, security checkpoints provided in courts are not always protecting only the 'court facility' from being invaded by weapons and firearms. Sometimes they are placed 'early' and block access to parts of the building that are not actually 'court facility'.

A person really can't rely on the government to do the job right.

(Chester County)

ok so theres nothing pertaining to the parking lot of a court house either?

im rarely ever in the court house, but im just checking to cover my ass. i didnt know if it was like and k-12 school or something

Quote Originally Posted by BFit70 View Post
    ok so theres nothing pertaining to the parking lot of a court house either?

im rarely ever in the court house, but im just checking to cover my ass. i didnt know if it was like and k-12 school or something
    While I was looking around, you might want to read this thread just for some background:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...ourthouse.html

You should be good. You can always call the MDJ clerk/court admin and the sheriff to find out what they all think about 18PACS913, but keep in mind what they respond with may not necessarily agree with the law.

OK I'm confused.

Your office is private property, which happens to be below the courthouse?

If so private property is private property and anyone on the upper floor that may have an issue can go scratch.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    OK I'm confused.

Your office is private property, which happens to be below the courthouse?

If so private property is private property and anyone on the upper floor that may have an issue can go scratch.
    If your office is private property, and it shares a hallway with a courtroom and and a clerk of the courts office, then you will never be able to reach your office without going through security or violating the law, even if the hall is private property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast