Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Check this turd of an SKS out! Full restoration coming soon.

This Sino Alby or what ever they are called is by far the worst gun I have ever decided to work on. I bought a few of these from AIM almost 3 years ago they were listed as fully complete but little finish and lots of rust and boy they weren't lying.

I had to use a punch and a plastic hammer to get most of the latches moving for disassembly. When it came to the gas tube we started having issues. Put the latch in the correct position and it would not budge tried prying a bit with a screw driver and ended up pulling the hand guard right off. :shock: So much for that rivet or pin. I finally noticed that the op rod was in the rear position sticking out of its chamber in the receiver. It took a thick flat punch and a light ball-peen hammer to coax that back into position. Once I got it back in I was able to get the gas tube out however the piston was seized up inside of it. Put the tube in a vise and once again turned to the punch and ball-peen hammer. It took some work but the piston broke free along with a few table spoons of rust. Now to the OP rod and if you guessed stuck in the it's housing you win so once again turned to the trusty punch and hammer and after a good wack it blasted out however the spring didn't make it he quit on me breaking into two pieces. Run the small parts through hot water and engine degreaser and now I am letting the ultrasonic do what it does.

Here's some of what fell out of the gas tube when I coaxed the piston out.
    Last edited by Hodgie; November 5th, 2016 at 03:03 AM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Check this turd of an SKS out! Full restoration coming soon.

Keep us updated - I love these pictures.

Very few folks know how to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t - you appear to be one of the gifted few!
    - bamboomaster

(Berks County)

Good luck my friend.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by bamboomaster View Post
    Keep us updated - I love these pictures.

Very few folks know how to make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t - you appear to be one of the gifted few!
    Ha I like the analogy. I have done many restorations before mostly on surplus rifles or older shot guns but this is by far the worst yet. Hopefully I can source new springs and other parts and when I blast the receiver there is still enough metal left to legally call it a firearm.

(Bucks County)

The propane torch and KANO KROIL are your friends. That and willingness to let penetrating oil work for a few days.

Do you have any other unhammered that you want rid of?

P.S.- All photos are black boxes with an X in them to me... :-(

I'm getting the squirrel hanging in there tho'.....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    The propane torch and KANO KROIL are your friends. That and willingness to let penetrating oil work for a few days.

Do you have any other unhammered that you want rid of?

P.S.- All photos are black boxes with an X in them to me... :-(

I'm getting the squirrel hanging in there tho'.....
    Photobucket is down-AGAIN
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

12:25 AM November 5th all photos came up. WOW! May I take this opportunity to withdraw all of my message #5! LOL

(Allegheny County)

If you need a rifle, wouldn't it be easier to shoot someone and take theirs, like on The Walking Dead or something?
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Did some more work on it today. For the 1st time I just decided to take the barreled receiver and throw it in the slop sink and get the water as hot as possible scrubbing with liquid detergent. It ended up being a Hell of a lot faster and easier then using shop towels and harsh chemicals. Disassembled the bolt had to smack the firing pin out, polished it up real nice then had to come up with a way to get the firing pin chamber cleaned. Once I did that reassembly was much easier and the pin is now freely moving.

I worked on the gas piston and tube for quite sometime getting all the corrosion, rust, and fouling off and out. Still having issues with the piston sticking in the tube rather then falling freely. I'm guessing there is a slight bend or warp in one, or both of them. Now that the rifle was all cleaned of comsoline, dirt and any loose surface rust I decide to reassemble and go for a test fire before the fun of heavy rust removal starts. Chambered a single round pulled the trigger got a loud bang but no cycling no ejection. The carrier never cycled so there is a definite issue with the gas system. I took out another working SKS from the safe pulled the gas tube and piston off and tried mixing the parts new tube with old piston which still was binding then old tube with new piston which also binds so it looks like there is a slight bend in each which I can almost see in the tube but not so much in the piston.

I put the new tube and piston in the rifle loaded a round pulled the trigger and the rifle fired and the carrier locked back. Loaded a stripper clip full if ammo and fired all 10 rounds with zero issues other then it looking ugly as all Hell. I'm going to see if I can free up the piston and tube a bit but I can already tell that i will be searching for a used tube and piston very soon.

I've got a few more pictures of today's progress but photobucket is still partially down for maintenance and will not take uploads at this time.
    Last edited by Hodgie; November 5th, 2016 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    12:25 AM November 5th all photos came up. WOW! May I take this opportunity to withdraw all of my message #5! LOL
    Ha yeah she is one real hot mess that's for sure. I have another that is actually in a bit better shape as far as surface rust and pitting goes but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it until I see how this one comes out. Once I get it through the blast cabinet I will have a better idea on the method I'm going to use. If it's pretty rough it my ended up with a KG or Duracoat finish rather then a black oxide which is what I typically use.

I'm naming this one project boat anchor.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast