Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Where to shoot rifle around Chambersburg/Waynesboro?

Hey guys. I've been going to the indoor range in Waynesboro to shoot my pistols for a couple months now, but I just got an AR and need a place to shoot it. What's the best place to go in the Waynesboro/Chambersburg area? If I have to join a club to shoot, what's the best bang for the buck? I'm in Mont Alto, so I'm right in the middle of both.

Thanks

- Jason

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Where to shoot rifle around Chambersburg/Waynesboro?

Probably the closest to you would be South Mountain Fish and Game Assoc. They have an OK outdoor range, up to 200 yards. South Mountain is fairly inexpensive, I think it cost me around $20-$25 per year.
    A close second (distance) would be Waynesboro Fish and Game. They have a pretty good range (up to 200 yards) but they are quite a bit more expensive. I think it's $60 initially and then $35 per year.
    I used to be a member of South Mountain and dropped my membership for Waynesboro because I live about two miles from Waynesboro fish and Game.
    If you just want price and convenience, and not interested in fishing or anything else, I think South Mountain is the best for you. The range isn't the best but it's functional and you may need 4X4 to get to it in the winter but overall it's pretty close to you and it's relatively inexpensive. If it were closer to me I would've kept my South Mountain membership.
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    Probably the closest to you would be South Mountain Fish and Game Assoc. They have an OK outdoor range, up to 200 yards. South Mountain is fairly inexpensive, I think it cost me around $20-$25 per year.
    A close second (distance) would be Waynesboro Fish and Game. They have a pretty good range (up to 200 yards) but they are quite a bit more expensive. I think it's $60 initially and then $35 per year.
    I used to be a member of South Mountain and dropped my membership for Waynesboro because I live about two miles from Waynesboro fish and Game.
    If you just want price and convenience, and not interested in fishing or anything else, I think South Mountain is the best for you. The range isn't the best but it's functional and you may need 4X4 to get to it in the winter but overall it's pretty close to you and it's relatively inexpensive. If it were closer to me I would've kept my South Mountain membership.

Thanks. It sounds like Waynesboro Fish & Game might be the way to go. It says on the site the meeting for new members is every 3rd Wednesday. Do I go in before then to pay and get put on a list or does it all happen that day?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jshillin View Post
    Thanks. It sounds like Waynesboro Fish & Game might be the way to go. It says on the site the meeting for new members is every 3rd Wednesday. Do I go in before then to pay and get put on a list or does it all happen that day?
    I think you have to go in and pay in advance. I was told they "review" the applications and then approve at the meeting. They told me today that the new member meeting will be the second Wednesday of the month now. If you apply now they will approve at the Dec 14th meeting. I just turned in my wife's application today. New membership is now $80 and then $40 annually, so it's gone up from what I remember.
    Good news if you want a place to shoot your AR, I just found out the other day that they are expanding the range to include what they are calling an AR range that will be all steel targets at multiple distances. Right now they have a steel target at 200yds but everything else is paper. Paper is a bit of a pain for sport shooting. A steel target range makes it worth the money for me.
    Last edited by ray h; November 25th, 2016 at 11:11 AM.
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

Thanks Ray. Is it $80 + $40 to join?

(Franklin County)

Thanks Ray. Is it $80 + $40 to join?
    No, I'm sorry, I did word that poorly. It's $40 for a new membership and $40 for first year dues, so a total of $80 to become a member and pay for first year.
    I haven't been on their website for awhile but just so you know their office hours have been reduced to 9AM-12PM, Wednesday-Friday.
    Last edited by ray h; November 25th, 2016 at 01:53 PM.
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

Thanks Ray. I will try to make it up before that time, but the office hours make that tough... If nothing else, I will have to get it in before the January meeting.

(Franklin County)

Thanks Ray. I will try to make it up before that time, but the office hours make that tough... If nothing else, I will have to get it in before the January meeting.
    Give them a call, you may be able to apply by mail. I just put an application in for my wife, she was not there in person, and they are mailing her membership card to her.
    The Hostler

(Franklin County)

Hello. Another question. Would you suggest Waynesboro Fish & Game or Blue Ridge Sportsman? I'm closer to Waynesboro, but the in-laws are right down from the Sportsman, so either would work.

(Franklin County)

Hello. Another question. Would you suggest Waynesboro Fish & Game or Blue Ridge Sportsman? I'm closer to Waynesboro, but the in-laws are right down from the Sportsman, so either would work.
    If you want to eventually shoot semi auto rifle at steel targets I would suggest Waynesboro because word is (not 100%, I heard it third hand) they are building a steel target range. If money is not an issue, Waynesboro has a nicer range, if you want to save $10+/- a year then Blue Ridge is cheaper. I'm a member of Waynesboro because it's closer to me so I tend to use it more often then I did when I belonged to Blue Ridge.
    The Hostler

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast