Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tree limb VS, G19, Crimson trace, Serpa

Today I had to cut down a very dead tree at the Mother in laws house. Due to a shed and the neighbors fence I had to do some limb pulling towards me with a pruning pole. I had one particularly large limb that was close to the shed. I cut this with a bow saw about half way through and began to pull down and away from the shed. Well good old Murphy stepped in when I pulled on the pole. The limb swung down and smacked me square in the hip, right where my G19 was on my belt. I weigh 280 and this limb moved me when it hit. My MIL screamed like Captain Obvious, "Look out"!

I stopped to see if my Glock, laser or holster was damaged. I had to rub the bark out of the grip and the laser. Some of it is still there in the real fine lines of the grip. Tomorrow at work it will get a good scrubbing inside and out. The laser is still spot on as well as the rear site. The Serpa is still in working order as it should. A Serpa holster, G19 and a Crimson trace laser grip is far stronger that I thought. I was certain that there would have been something broken.

The tree lost the final battle to the chain saw and is now a stump. My hip still hurts. The MIL said send me a bill several times. I told her like Hell I will! Since She it putting in a new Kitchen for my Wife the tree job was a freebie!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Default Re: Tree limb VS, G19, Crimson trace, Serpa

glad you are ok. the hip will probably turn black/ green and yellow. my 2 cts., the serpas are the best rentention, most comfortable holster to wear.

(Washington County)

Back when I grew up working on a farm we would clear trees with a big JD log skidder. One time I chained up a large tree with stump attached laying in a creek. When it got to the bank the stump stuck on the bank and swung the tree towards me. I ran the opposite way and the skidder driver hit the winch brake just in time for the tree to smack me in the ass and send me flying into the creek. I walked funny for some time, but it was better than being smooshed.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Lancaster County)

Sounds like you have the same set up as me. I'm not one of the Serpa haters but have you looked at Safariland ALS? I use a qls set up which also allows for easy on easy off but is still very secure.

Like I said I'm not a Serpa hater just sharing what I like

It's good to see that this review I read wasn't overhyping the G19. It really is that solid of a gun

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    glad you are ok. the hip will probably turn black/ green and yellow. my 2 cts., the serpas are the best rentention, most comfortable holster to wear.
    Thanks again. I sent you back a PM on my set up.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Back when I grew up working on a farm we would clear trees with a big JD log skidder. One time I chained up a large tree with stump attached laying in a creek. When it got to the bank the stump stuck on the bank and swung the tree towards me. I ran the opposite way and the skidder driver hit the winch brake just in time for the tree to smack me in the ass and send me flying into the creek. I walked funny for some time, but it was better than being smooshed.
    Tree work is a dangerous business! To get picked up and thrown like that must have been quite an experience. Some people think that tree Men are expensive. I cut down a huge Pine for my neighbor for free because the needles were always in our Pool. when I offered to cut it down he didn't hesitate. He told me he couldn't afford a professional. He did give me fifty bucks to go out for dinner, but I gave that to the guy who helped me drop the main beam.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Sounds like you have the same set up as me. I'm not one of the Serpa haters but have you looked at Safariland ALS? I use a qls set up which also allows for easy on easy off but is still very secure. Like I said I'm not a Serpa hater just sharing what I like
    Ill look into that Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TayvonS View Post
    It's good to see that this review I read wasn't overhyping the G19. It really is that solid of a gun
    I know Glock's get abused on purpose because of the plastic haters. Especially in the beginning 25 + years ago. I honestly thought something would have been broken out of the three things. Really I was expecting it to be the laser. Tonight I am going to clean and inspect the whole thing very well, then take it to the range this week and give it a test firing.

(Bucks County)

From the title, and reading the first part of the story, I was anticipating you shot the limb off.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    From the title, and reading the first part of the story, I was anticipating you shot the limb off.
    Ditto.

Where is the part where you destroyed the offending limb with overwhelming firepower???

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTailhound View Post
    Ditto.

Where is the part where you destroyed the offending limb with overwhelming firepower???
    Unfortunately the MIL lives in a very populated area, so I destroyed it with the chain saw.

(Montgomery County)

I've crashed on my mountain bike a few times with my LC9s, it's held up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast