Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: Trick or Treating

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    More evidence of the wussification of America. Kids should go out AT NIGHT for Halloween, and there should not be government "hours" for when kids can trick or treat.
    I must respectfully disagree with your observation. First off, no "government" set any hours - the best I can figure is that the town's Civic Association (not a government entity) and the town's fire company (a private organization) came up with the arrangement. Second, out here in Rural Pennsylvania (and a Borough of 437 is "rural"), we don't have streetlights on every utility pole illuminating the darkness, sidewalks are not necessarily plentiful and people from outlying areas (more in the boonies than we are) have to travel to do anything, trick or treating included. It's a safety issue that works well for all concerned.

(Luzerne County)

I have been seeing a lot of adds for trunk and treat. It seems that this could be even less safe.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    ..we don't have streetlights on every utility pole illuminating the darkness, sidewalks are not necessarily plentiful ....
    What are these things, Streetlights and Sidewalks.. I live in the mountains of N.E. Pa. closest thing to a street light are security lights folks have in front of their barns. Sidewalks? Not a single one of them contraptions in my or surrounding townships.

When the boys were younger we would load them up and park just outside of the better off suburbs across the border in NY. Usually have to make at least one trip back to the car to lights the bags. Candy would last them until Easter if not longer. I always made sure to confiscate as many Reeses treats as possible :-)

Seems each year more and more wackos out there and more parents doing trunk or treat or going to secure areas..
    back in my younger days down in the King of Prussia area, the biggest threat was some bully demanding a toll for some wooded shortcut
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

I actually bought a new OWB for trick-or-treating. Too far?

We just do our trick or treating night of, although they encourage a parent or older teen to go with the younger kids. It helps that where I live everything is well lit and there's sidewalks.

(Carbon County)

Halloween Horror: Mom Dresses Her Son Up As Hillary Clinton For Halloween

Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Delaware County)

I agree that Clifton and Primos aren't bad, yet, but the potential is increasing. Trick or Treat is still the 31st with the little ones starting just before dark. A lot more parents accompanying the children lately. We take candy to the houses of the neighbors children we know but stopped giving it out at the door after watching church vans from the city roll up and unload dozens of kids.

(Allegheny County)

I used to enjoy it, but last few years it's become more and more outsiders bused in and most are too old to be doing it, and their costumes consist of whatever hoodie they wore to school that day and a pillow case to carry the candy.

The little ones are cute and do and say funny stuff, but the teens have all but ruined the whole thing.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

When my kids were young, we walked a development in Dublin Pa and there was always one guy who had coolers full of Heineken for the parents. WE would hang there and enjoy a few cold ones while the kids did their thing around the cul-de-sac.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I used to enjoy it, but last few years it's become more and more outsiders bused in and most are too old to be doing it, and their costumes consist of whatever hoodie they wore to school that day and a pillow case to carry the candy.

The little ones are cute and do and say funny stuff, but the teens have all but ruined the whole thing.
    The busing of outsiders has been going on for decades. My parents told us when we were in Naval housing in Rhode Island in the early 70's, the were maybe 60 kids or so amongst all the houses there. But they'd regularly see 300 to 400 kids on Halloween.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast