Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Damn Good Thing I Looked

I exercised my FFL 03 recently and purchased a Makarov pistol from a private party in Arkansas. The transaction went smoothly and the package arrived today via UPS. Everything was well padded and packed. So after cutting and pulling all the taped bubble wrap off the gun and the holster, I sat back to admire the new addition to my collection. Well, time to see what kind of trigger and trigger pull it's got so I rack the slide and bingo...a live round in the chamber and six more in the mag. Like the title says, good thing I looked otherwise it could have been a real problem had I simply pulled the trigger. You know, I really didn't expect rounds in a 'new' gun. I mean...who would be so stupid as to send someone a gun with live rounds...chambered. Geezus!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Damn Good Thing I Looked

I bought an HK P7M8 from someone across the country. It went to my local FFL who did the transfer. When the transaction was done, I racked the slide and a live hollow point round ejected. None in the mag, but one in the pipe. Guns are ALWAYS loaded.

This is the reason why gun store clerks always check the chamber and lock open the slide or drop the cylinder before handing a customer a gun to look at.

Rule number one:
    Always treat every firearm like it's loaded.

That is such irresponsible bullshit! A friend received a rifle from a local ffl (gunbroker),
    when the shop owner opened the box, he pulled the rifle out and it had a round in the chamber
    and the damn safety was off.. Total friggin idiots!

That is scary. People are retarded

(Lehigh County)

I know some basic safety rules. I seem to remember one about how to safely hand a gun to someone...
    Glad I didn't compound their foolish irresponsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    This is the reason why gun store clerks always check the chamber and lock open the slide or drop the cylinder before handing a customer a gun to look at.

Rule number one:
    Always treat every firearm like it's loaded.
    I wish this were always the case. Many times I have had clerks hand over a gun without checking. Even when I do see the store clerk check I still pull the mag, rack the slide and check the pipe myself. No gun is safe until you have verified yourself, regardless of the level of trust and confidence I have in the person handing it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MT1 View Post
    I wish this were always the case. Many times I have had clerks hand over a gun without checking. Even when I do see the store clerk check I still pull the mag, rack the slide and check the pipe myself. No gun is safe until you have verified yourself, regardless of the level of trust and confidence I have in the person handing it to me.
    I had a gun shop guy hand a non checked pistol to me once when I was with my wife I took it locked the slide back checked the chamber and said to my wife we.Always check and make sure a pistol is empty when handling them. Guy didn't make eye contact with me so I guess he got the point.

(Bucks County)

That was one of my 'lessons' I'd use any time I was introducing a new person to guns. Load one orange dummy round into the pipe and then go through a 'really thorough check'. Drop the mag, pull the slide part way rearward (while tilting the gun to me so they couldn't see it) then hand it to them. "There you go, no need to check it, you saw me clear it!" If they cleared it themselves they learned the easy way. If not, they learned the hard way!!

That's pretty sobering. Thanks for sharing OP.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast