Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Checking in a pistol at Newark airport

Has anyone checked in a pistol at Newark airport? Any issues that I need to be aware of?
    I am using my Original Springfield pistol case that it came in but drilled an additional hole on the handle so I can add another padlock to it.

I am travelling to Utah.
    I have read all of the rules on the Delta airline which I am taking.

Shooting Equipment

Shooting equipment is allowed as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.
    •Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
    •Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if there's a security checkpoint before the Delta counter.
    •All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter.
    •Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration.
    •Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard-sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard–sided gun case or a locked hard-sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard-sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft-sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
    •Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
    •Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic*or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.
    •You are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State or local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA website <http://www.tsa.gov/>opens in a new window <http://www.tsa.gov/>
    <http://www.tsa.gov/>.
    •If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.
    •Until further advised, passengers departing Brussels, Belgium are not allowed to check weapons including, antique, sporting, hunting or toy rifles in their checked baggage.
    The following types of ammunition are not accepted:
    •Gun powder; such as Pyrodex or Black Powder
    •Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles
    •Ammunition, including case, exceeding 11 pounds (5 kg) gross weight per passenger
    Pistols and accessories must be included in one case and contain:
    •Pistol telescopes
    •Noise suppressors
    •A small pistol tool case
    •No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case
    Rifles and shotguns must be packaged as follows:
    •One hard sided case containing up to four rifles, shotguns, shooting materials, tools
    •One hard sided case containing up to five handguns, one scope, tools
    •One bow and quiver of arrows and maintenance kit enclosed in a case or container strong enough to protect the bow and quiver from accidental damage
    •No more than 11 lbs. (5 kg) of ammunition, including case
    An excess baggage fee will apply if checking more than one gun case.
    Semper Fi 0351

Default Re: Checking in a pistol at Newark airport

My guess is you will arrested on the spot for illegally transporting a handgun into NJ.
    NJ isn't likely to honor FOPA since you are not travelling through, but stopping there for an extended time.

You better bet is to travel from Allentown, and be sure any lay overs are in friendly states.
    People have been arrested for planes landing in NY and NJ for reasons completely beyond their control.

ETA:

If you are traveling for purposes of a sanctioned firearms competition, or hunting where in either case the firearm is to be used for that purpose (Springfield not likely for hunting), you may have an exception to work in your favor, but still dicey IMO without first thoroughly vetting the plan with an attorney.
    Last edited by God's Country; October 24th, 2016 at 10:40 AM.
    FUCK BIDEN

From the NRA - ILA website...

Special advisory for New York & New Jersey airports: Despite federal law that protects travelers, authorities at JFK, La Guardia, Newark, and Albany airports have been known to enforce state and local firearm laws against airline travelers who are passing through their jurisdictions. In some cases, even persons traveling in full compliance with federal law have been arrested or threatened with arrest. FOPA's protections have been substanially narrowed by court decisions in certain parts of the country, particularly in the Northeast. Persons traveling through New York and New Jersey airports may want to consider shipping their firearms to their final destinations rather than bringing them through airports in these jurisdictions.

The question may be: Are you covered by FOPA? If you are starting your travel in PA and ending it in UT the court may interpret it that way - but I believe that FOPA can only be used as an affirmative defense in that instance. If a court determines that Newark was your destination, then you are not covered by FOPA and you are in violation of NJ state laws. I would err on the side of caution, and if I really wanted to have a gun at my final destination (UT), I'd follow the advice in the paragraph quoted above and ship it.

Legal eagles really need to chime in on this one.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Bucks County)

I definitely would not bring a pistol to Newark Airport.

Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    I definitely would not bring a pistol to Newark Airport.

Ever.
    Agreed just leave all the gun fighting to the people of Newark.

(Northampton County)

I agree I am aware of how New Jersey is and would definitely not carry my pistol at any other time into that state.
    The only thing i am bringing is the pistol, the Magazines and ammo are already there and got transported out with the motorcycles.
    I had called Delta Airlines and also asked them a few questions about my concern and they say they assure me that there will not be any issues.

I guess I will find out in about 3 hrs and let you guys know.
    Semper Fi 0351

Quote Originally Posted by DeFran View Post
    I agree I am aware of how New Jersey is and would definitely not carry my pistol at any other time into that state.
    The only thing i am bringing is the pistol, the Magazines and ammo are already there and got transported out with the motorcycles.
    I had called Delta Airlines and also asked them a few questions about my concern and they say they assure me that there will not be any issues.

Be safe and if you do not I would have the number of a good lawyer on hand possibly Evan Nappen who is an excellent NJ firearms attorney who helped Shaneen Allen.

Found it for you.
    I'm not trying to scare you I just want you to be prepared for the worst.

Call (732) 389-8888
    21 Throckmorton Ave.
    Eatontown, NJ 07724
    Fax (732) 389-8744

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeFran View Post

Enjoy your trip in Rahway.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

If its imperative you have to travel into Newark airport,I would rather shipp my firearm to my destination,cost more,yes but not worth losing your rights !

I think I would have opted to ship the pistol with the motorcycles. I don't like the idea of relying on the trailer for security but less concerning than NJ and airports. I'd have placed the frame and ammo in secure containers bolted or chained to the trailer and maybe place the slide in checked baggage.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast