Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: LEOSA and NJ?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: LEOSA and NJ?

Improvements to the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act

The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004 delineated the national off-duty concealed firearms carry rights and requirements for active sworn, and retired, law enforcement officers. Senate S.1132 and House H.R. 3752 were bills introduced in 2009 to amend the original LEOSA and make needed improvements.

Becoming Public Law No. 111-272 on 10/12/2010, the following changes to LEOSA went into effect:
    •More clearly defines disciplinary action in LEOSA’s language to be discipline “which could result in the loss of police powers.”
    •Retired officers are now referred to as “separated from service in good standing.” It lowers their required years of service to 10 years, eliminates the “nonforfeitable” pension or benefit requirement, and eases firearms qualifications to those standard by agency, state, or state certified instructor of LEO’s.

LEOSA
    •Includes the carry of ammunition “not expressly prohibited by Federal law or subject to the provisions of the National Firearms Act.” Federally legal ammunition, such as hollow-point bullets, can be carried where state law would normally prohibit it (i.e. New Jersey).

Translation: LEOSA-licensed individuals may have so-called hollow-points loaded in their firearms in New Jersey (or NY, Mass...wherever).

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Want free hollow-point ammo?
    Who doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Drive over a bridge from Pa to NJ.
    Ummm... no. Hell no.

(Delaware County)

I would rather deal with njpds than NYC in carrying under LEOSA. I read a while back in a gunny magazine that NYPD has a standing order to detain any leo carrying under the safety act while a supervisor is summoned to personally inspect the credentials of the carrier.

I would not doubt the validity of this report.

FWIW; the police chief I referred to is not retired. He is a current chief in Bucks Co.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post
    I would rather deal with njpds than NYC in carrying under LEOSA. I read a while back in a gunny magazine that NYPD has a standing order to detain any leo carrying under the safety act while a supervisor is summoned to personally inspect the credentials of the carrier.

Sheepdog also reported that the NYPD was holding LEOSA people until they confirmed that the firearm they were carrying was not stolen.
    That's why Sheepdog recommends keeping a copy of the firearm receipt with the LEOSA credentials.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Warren County)

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than other animals.

George Orwell.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by c45man View Post

Nothing but rumor. On several of my secure (must provide LE credentials in order to be a member) LE forums or websites, nothing like this has ever been reported.

Several weeks ago, I met a NJ sheriffs deputy in a casual setting at my parents' home. He was a younger fellow, and we talked a little about firearms. I told him that I carry, and he smiled and asked, 'what state are you from'?, knowing that other states are carry friendly while NJ isn't.

I spotted his SIG P229 under his shirt, and he remarked that when he goes to NY, he has to take two rounds out of the mag to be NY compliant.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Several weeks ago, I met a NJ sheriffs deputy in a casual setting at my parents' home. He was a younger fellow, and we talked a little about firearms. I told him that I carry, and he smiled and asked, 'what state are you from'?, knowing that other states are carry friendly while NJ isn't.

I spotted his SIG P229 under his shirt, and he remarked that when he goes to NY, he has to take two rounds out of the mag to be NY compliant.
    I don't believe that makes him any more/less compliant. Pretty sure the law is stated that the "magazine must not be capable of holding more than x rounds". Taking two out doesn't change that.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    I don't believe that makes him any more/less compliant. Pretty sure the law is stated that the "magazine must not be capable of holding more than x rounds". Taking two out doesn't change that.
    He is LEO, rules don't apply.
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast