Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: LEOSA and NJ?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: LEOSA and NJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Active duty needs to carry acceptable identification card from department and supposedly MPO card (but we have not received new ones from the state in over 2 years)
    The only ID we carry is the photographic ID from MPOETC which has our MPOETC number and the name of the agency we work for. There is no requirement to carry two kinds of ID. I have seen some people say the department needs to provide an ID, but the MPOETC ID Card has always served me just fine, along with my badge.

(d) The identification required by this subsection is the photographic identification issued by the governmental agency for which the individual is employed as a law enforcement officer.

(Montgomery County)

I would just add that since Jersey is nuts when it comes to guns, it is advised that retired LEO's stay redundant within the law.
    If you ever get into a situation in NJ, there is no way to know how you will be treated or how knowledgeable the NJ officer will be, so it is best to lean towards caution.
    The true legality of any gun issue may be prolonged, and you may end up detained and in front of a judge.
    So regardless of legality, it is advisable:
    Not to carry hollow points, I use Hornady Critical Duty or FMJ instead.
    Not to carry magazines over the NJ limit of 15 round capacity.
    To carry your retired LEO agency ID along with any other LEOSA permits and qualifications you require.
    To get a NJ Permit To Purchase Firearms ID Card.
    And believe it or not, to carry a copy of the paperwork and receipt from the purchase of your carry gun.
    Much of this is not legally required, but if you are a retired LEO traveling into NJ, it may very well save you a lot of unnecessary legal stress and expense.
    All of this information is available at the Sheepdog Academy website. http://www.hr218leosa.com/
    I strongly recommend Sheepdog to any retired LEO carrying under LEOSA, especially if traveling into NJ, NY, or any other liberal anti-gun states.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Luzerne County)

Sheepdog is very good. I get their .pdf download from their yearly seminars to add to my LEOSA information.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    PA Constables are covered by LEOSA but to carry out of state they need the firearms training card.
    So constables are covered but county sheriiffs and deputies aren't? How did I miss that factoid?

Am I the only one who is incredibly annoyed that the LEOSA has been amended three times (the first was just a year after it was enacted), yet it still hasn't been expanded to cover national "civilian" reciprocity? Back when the LEOSA was still only prposed legislation, LEOs were all over all the gun forums to ask us to support passage. Their argument then was that it was a "good first step" to national reciprocity, and that if we helped them get LEOSA they would then help us get national reciprocity.

So we stepped up and helped them get the LEOSA. Now ... where's all that LEO support for national carry reciprocity? [Crickets]

Quote Originally Posted by Greywolf View Post
    So constables are covered but county sheriiffs and deputies aren't? How did I miss that factoid?

Am I the only one who is incredibly annoyed that the LEOSA has been amended three times (the first was just a year after it was enacted), yet it still hasn't been expanded to cover national "civilian" reciprocity? Back when the LEOSA was still only prposed legislation, LEOs were all over all the gun forums to ask us to support passage. Their argument then was that it was a "good first step" to national reciprocity, and that if we helped them get LEOSA they would then help us get national reciprocity.

So we stepped up and helped them get the LEOSA. Now ... where's all that LEO support for national carry reciprocity? [Crickets]
    I'm a LEO and I support national carry reciprocity. Most of us do.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JL911 View Post
    I'm a LEO and I support national carry reciprocity. Most of us do.
    Agreed. I fully encourage all law abiding, responsible citizens to legally carry. 1) it's your Constitutional right, and 2) lots of shit head criminals are on the streets.
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Montgomery County)

Necro-thread

I support national reciprocity also.
    But I have said before that people should realize that national reciprocity will incorporate national training standards and national registration.
    Using LEOSA as a base example demonstrates this fairly well.

In order for retired LEOs to carry nationwide under LEOSA we are required to:
    Carry a LEOSA sanctioned photo ID from our original agency and/or state certified alternative.
    Carry a card that certifies that we have passed the required firearm qualification.
    Pass a firearm qualification annually or more often depending on the agency and/or state requirement.
    Register our carry firearm(s) and pass qualification with each firearm registered to carry.

So in short, to carry nationwide under LEOSA, retired LEOs are licensed, trained, qualified annually (or more), and all carry firearms are registered.
    As such, any national carry reciprocity will likely follow a similar model.
    Just something to keep in mind.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

Quote Originally Posted by Berncly View Post
    So in short, to carry nationwide under LEOSA, retired LEOs are licensed, trained, qualified annually (or more), and all carry firearms are registered.
    As such, any national carry reciprocity will likely follow a similar model.
    Just something to keep in mind.
    Unfortunately many people will have a major issue with this.

Was talking with a local police chief and he told me he got all sorts of grief carrying in NJ.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Was talking with a local police chief and he told me he got all sorts of grief carrying in NJ.
    By what department? Under what circumstances?

I carry regularly into NJ and often into NYC, Delaware, Maryland and D.C. Never had an issue.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast