Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Tight Chamber in Sig 1911 RCS

I think that I have a tight chamber in my Sig RCS. Most of my 45 ACP reloads do not chamber. Most new factory ammo does, but seems tight. When chambering a round the slide normally stops a 1/4" short. Sometimes I can push the slide shut and other times cannot w/o excessive force & just eject the round. The reloads have no problem chambering in my Sig Tacops & in generap the Tacops runs much smoother.

If I want to polish out the RCS chamber, what is the best way to do it. Or, should I take it to a gunsmith & have him slick up the gun in general. As I said above, the Tacops is significantly smoother in every way.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Tight Chamber in Sig 1911 RCS

Remove the barrel, can you drop a round into the chamber?

If not, the chamber needs reaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Delete

I think that the issue has been well addressed on the other post
    Last edited by phill; October 23rd, 2016 at 12:48 PM.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Lancaster County)

What dies are you using? You might not be getting sized all the way down to the base.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    What dies are you using? You might not be getting sized all the way down to the base.
    Check this. Saw a similar issue with my RCS. It was definitely tighter than say a Rock Island and made me look at my setups more closely. Try FMJ too. Your lead might be a tad large.

(Lancaster County)

Lead bullets may size a little larger but they're soft and compress with crimping. Hey MMH, do you use a Lee FCD at the end of your loading? If not, you might want to do so, and use a Lee sizing die to start with as well or EGW's sizing die. What case gauges do you use?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

What Gun said! Field strip it, remove the barrel & hold it with the chamber pointing straight up. Rounds should easily drop into chamber with a resounding "thunk." Is the problem with factory rounds, just reloads, or both?
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    What Gun said! Field strip it, remove the barrel & hold it with the chamber pointing straight up. Rounds should easily drop into chamber with a resounding "thunk." Is the problem with factory rounds, just reloads, or both?
    I removed the barrel & started dropping rounds in. Factory ammo drops w/ a resounding "thunk". reloads would get hung up. I measured the case by the mouth. Factory ammo was 0.468", my reloads were 0.471" . The reloading manual said 0.473" (I guess this is SAAMI), so, I now I know why the factory ammo chambers & the reloads do not. Question is, why is the barrel not cut to accept SAAMI sized ammo? Nonetheless, I will try a Lee FCD die.

(Cumberland County)

I am a big fan of the lee factory crimp dies. As I have had Hornady and Rcbs carbide dies sets for my pistols long before I had my Dillon 550, I add a factory crimp die to each set up when I put it on the 550. I recently started using their bulge buster kit with a factory crimp die on my 40 sw brass to get rid of glock bulge.