Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Storing guns in PA (not another retread)

So I've been researching this for some months, and I've struggled to find any answers of how I can securely store my NFA items in PA. Let's start with the basics

-I am a dual resident of New Jersey, and North Carolina.
    -I purchased all of my items in North Carolina, as a NC resident.
    -At this time all of my NFA items are currently stored securely in a registered location in NC, in a safe which the person storing it has no access to.
    -I know about the proper paperwork required to move my NFA items to another state (Form 5320.20), and would of course have that done before moving them.

I say all that so that you know I've done my homework and to make it clear that I am legally able to own, posses, and (I believe) move these items to PA and store them there. I've also read old similar threads and not found anything applicable.

Avenues I've explored but found lacking

-Safety Deposit box: This seems like a great idea, but the bank being closed on weekends means I would have to take a weekday off to get my items out and use them on weekend shoots in PA. Even if a bank had a big enough box, and were open 8-12 on Saturday, it still wouldn't work because I'd have to wait until Monday morning to turn it in.
    -Storage unit: Would seem to work logistically, but I would not feel comfortable with the theft risk. This might work for magazines.

What I need:
    1) I need to confirm my assumptions: Are there any weird possession or transportation laws in PA pertaining to NFA items beyond Federal law? Any weird magazine restrictions?
    2) I need to store two different packages with different security needs. One would be a shoe-box sized box with 2 suppressors, and a registered lower in it. This would need to be in a safe or container only I have access to, or under the care of an FFL (i think?). The second package is just a dufflebag of magazines, which really aren't particularly valuable but just need to be stored in PA and accessible.
    3) I would prefer 24 hour access, or at least normal hours access on the weekend, that I could schedule ahead of time.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Gaujo; October 21st, 2016 at 04:14 PM.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Storing guns in PA (not another retread)

INAL

http://smartgunlaws.org/large-capaci...in-new-jersey/

15 round magazine max capacity
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    INAL

http://smartgunlaws.org/large-capaci...in-new-jersey/

15 round magazine max capacity
    I do not have any of said magazines in NJ :-) That would be a big no no. They are all in NC, and I'm trying to store and use them in PA.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    I do not have any of said magazines in NJ :-) That would be a big no no. They are all in NC, and I'm trying to store and use them in PA.
    You asked specifically if there were magazine restrictions in NJ

ETA. Not sure why you are asking about NJ law if the items will never be in NJ.
    Also, you should research your planned mode of transport as there is quite a bit of unfriendly territory in between NC and PA.
    Last edited by Remington788; October 21st, 2016 at 03:35 PM.

There are no Class 3 dealers who work with the public in NJ. All NFA items are illegal in NJ there is no transporting them through or storing in NJ or out of the state they are registered in with the federal gov.

I'm Not sure what your trying to do here. You know that you need to legally change the address on your NFA items when crossing state lines so all your looking for is a place to store them without actually being a resident? Is that even legal with NFA items?

I'm pretty sure that a FFL cannot store anything without logging it into their bound book because they have now legally taken possession of it. In order to get it back all legal transfers would have to be done again. Maybe it's different with NFA items but I donbt it.
    Last edited by Hodgie; October 21st, 2016 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    You asked specifically if there were magazine restrictions in NJ

ETA. Not sure why you are asking about NJ law if the items will never be in NJ.
    Also, you should research your planned mode of transport as there is quite a bit of unfriendly territory in between NC and PA.
    Oops! That was a typo, sorry. I changed it to PA. Nothing will be in or going through NJ.
    Last edited by Gaujo; October 21st, 2016 at 04:20 PM.

(Beaver County)

I do not think that you can legally be a resident of two states. " If a person has not spent half a year in a state and does not have a permanent address in a state or a driver's license, he may automatically be considered a part-time resident."

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by john9001 View Post
    I do not think that you can legally be a resident of two states. " If a person has not spent half a year in a state and does not have a permanent address in a state or a driver's license, he may automatically be considered a part-time resident."
    $ opportunity on the eastern side of the state: rent a storage facility to this guy.

details to be hashed out by renter and rentee.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    $ opportunity on the eastern side of the state: rent a storage facility to this guy.

details to be hashed out by renter and rentee.
    That would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaujo View Post
    That would be fantastic.
    Would that not violate the NFA regulations of having to keep the said items at the location where they are registered to? If you had a trust with the persons name on it where they were going to be stored you would be covered 100% anything else I think you are in clear violation thus looking at 10 years in club fed for both the owner and the person storing them access or not.

I do not do any NFA items for specific reasons so maybe I am missing something here if so please fill me in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast