Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Need a AR guru for a Trigger issue

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Dunno if you reload. My built at a gun show upper was denting brass on ejection. Brass hits the angled bounce pad as it should. I super-glued a piece of inner tube rubber on it. That stopped the denting. Now I have it on the Spikes Tactical too.
    You can shorten the ejector spring to reduce the ejection angle so it doesn't hit the brass deflector as hard and on the same angle. I do this on my competition rifles to throw the brass to 2 o'clock instead of into fellow competitors. Start with removing two coils from the ejector spring and see if that does the trick.
    Toujours prêt

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    That sounds about right. Get that puppy to the range and make some music.
    Im trying but by the time I get home from work its 7pm, hard to sight in at night & i dont have my hunting license yet so id be taking a gamble on going to the archbald range which is the closest one to me

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Dunno if you reload. My built at a gun show upper was denting brass on ejection. Brass hits the angled bounce pad as it should. I super-glued a piece of inner tube rubber on it. That stopped the denting. Now I have it on the Spikes Tactical too.
    No problems as far as dented brass & it's a PSA upper, not a piece together lol. It doesnt throw the shell behind me but if someone was standing next to me about 5 feet away, it would be behind them, its a good pattern for me, if i had to get accurate with the angle, id say 2:10, 2:15 but that was a live round not an empty case, ejection pattern might change

(Bucks County)

You can shorten the ejector spring to reduce the ejection angle so it doesn't hit the brass deflector as hard and on the same angle. I do this on my competition rifles to throw the brass to 2 o'clock instead of into fellow competitors. Start with removing two coils from the ejector spring and see if that does the trick.
    Thanks! Will try it!

(Delaware County)

Don't try anything until you fire it a bunch. There are many ways to tune ejection patterns. Until it's fired, you won't know where it goes. You just completed an 80%. I think you'll be fine. (I post what I do at times for future readers.)

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by bjmac View Post
    Don't try anything until you fire it a bunch. There are many ways to tune ejection patterns. Until it's fired, you won't know where it goes. You just completed an 80%. I think you'll be fine. (I post what I do at times for future readers.)
    Luckily the ejection pattern, with a live round) seems about right compared to what I've seen online when you clear a FTF. It's a MIL SPEC BCG so it should be "up to snuff". It's one of the reason's I went with a DOD/USAF supplier. I know that this wasn't directed at me but if anyone comes across this because they're having ejection issues or they're trying to avoid them it might help. All of the parts I sourced for this build were bought based on price & reviews. Granted none of the parts are competition ready nor are they light weight but I value durability and reliability over saving a little weight. The only part that was a little iffy was the lower and I got that because of the price and because it didn't have to get shipped to a FFL. It works, it machined easily with a drill press and a milling bit designed for wood from Harbor Freight. It won't pass a micrometer or digital calipers but mostly everything lined up except a little issue with the safety but I over drilled it and mags lock in place well. They don't drop free (GI mags only atm) but once it gets broken in I'm sure they'll drop fine. The upper was a PSA special no bcg, no ch for $200 with a MOE handguard but I chopped the front sight tower off. If I'm going to get iron sights, they'll be 45's or flip up's, I don't need the FSB in the way of my red dot

(Delaware County)

(For future readers) Live fire ejection patterns tell a story. The main objective is to keep the bcg moving just slow enough with higher pressure ammo, yet fast enough with lower psi ammo to function properly regardless of ammo used. There are a lot of variables that factor into how a bcg moves. I'm not going to get into specifics of each but ammo pressure, barrel length vs. gas system, recoil spring/buffer spring, buffer weight, bcg weight, lubrication, even the hammer spring weight & hammer mass can effect bcg speed. How that story is interpreted is the issue. Unless you are only benching or hitting steel and want your spent cases in a certain spot, or to avoid the shooter next to you, leave it be.... if it functions flawlessly.
    Last edited by bjmac; November 18th, 2016 at 09:56 PM. Reason: oops

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybonez28 View Post
    Luckily the ejection pattern, with a live round) seems about right compared to what I've seen online when you clear a FTF. It's a MIL SPEC BCG so it should be "up to snuff". It's one of the reason's I went with a DOD/USAF supplier. I know that this wasn't directed at me but if anyone comes across this because they're having ejection issues or they're trying to avoid them it might help. All of the parts I sourced for this build were bought based on price & reviews. Granted none of the parts are competition ready nor are they light weight but I value durability and reliability over saving a little weight. The only part that was a little iffy was the lower and I got that because of the price and because it didn't have to get shipped to a FFL. It works, it machined easily with a drill press and a milling bit designed for wood from Harbor Freight. It won't pass a micrometer or digital calipers but mostly everything lined up except a little issue with the safety but I over drilled it and mags lock in place well. They don't drop free (GI mags only atm) but once it gets broken in I'm sure they'll drop fine. The upper was a PSA special no bcg, no ch for $200 with a MOE handguard but I chopped the front sight tower off. If I'm going to get iron sights, they'll be 45's or flip up's, I don't need the FSB in the way of my red dot
    I'll take what you said about the safety hole and mags not dropping as two separate things. Mags should drop free from the get go. I'll help ya with the mags but I would need more info. As long as the safety functions I'll say ok.

(Lackawanna County)

They don't bind up but they don't just plop out either, I have a feeling it's because it's a polymer lower and not entirely Mil Spec. I could probably either ****m the mags and file the magwell a bit to get them dropping free or take some sandpaper to the magwell. The takedown holes weren't perfectly lined up either so that tells you something right there. I over drilled the safety so there's a little side to side movement but eventually I'll get a Ambi-Safety and that should take care of that. Once I get up some more cash I'll get a stripped lower and keep this as a backup or build a second rifle depending on funds

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123