Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bradford County)

Default Going to Ohio and Would like to Carry

Hello folks,

In going to be traveling to Ohio and would like to bring my revolver along. I see Ohio has reciprocity agreements with PA now. Does anyone know if there are any particular laws or requirements I need to be aware of or watch out for? I will be staying overnight in a hotel for two nights. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Going to Ohio and Would like to Carry

Quote Originally Posted by andyrping View Post
    Hello folks,

In going to be traveling to Ohio and would like to bring my revolver along. I see Ohio has reciprocity agreements with PA now. Does anyone know if there are any particular laws or requirements I need to be aware of or watch out for? I will be staying overnight in a hotel for two nights. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    www.handgunlaw.us

(Allegheny County)

I frequently travel to OH to visit family and friends.

The top three things I can think of are:

Ohio is a duty to inform state. So if stopped by law enforcement the first words out of your mouth should be to inform that you are a licence holder and you have a firearm. This is what I am most worried about so I do drive extra careful when in OH. Double check all your lights and indicators and cruise control is your friend.

You cannot drink while armed. You can be in a bar but you cannot consume. I drink so little now that this is barely a concern for me.

OH has specific laws related to carry a firearm in a posted place vs PA where carry in a posted place is covered under the broader trespassing laws. From what I can tell breaking the OH posted law is a M4 Criminal trespass. That carries up to a 30 day jail time and $250 fine. That does not seem prohibiting to me. But I am not a lawyer. YMMV.

Some more good info here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/L...nual-%28PDF%29

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/

Some good advice for traveling anywhere armed or unarmed. Do an inspection of your vehicle before leaving. Check all lights and indicators, check all fluid levels, check tire pressures, fill the thank, and check registration and insurance paperwork is up to date.

Combine this with good driving habits and the chances of being stopped or jammed up if stopped I believe go down significantly.
    Last edited by QuackXP; October 18th, 2016 at 12:02 PM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I frequently travel to OH to visit family and friends.

The top three things I can think of are:

Ohio is a duty to inform state. So if stopped by law enforcement the first words out of your mouth should be to inform that you are a licence holder and you have a firearm. This is what I am most worried about so I do drive extra careful when in OH. Double check all your lights and indicators and cruise control is your friend.

You cannot drink while armed. You can be in a bar but you cannot consume. I drink so little now that this is barely a concern for me.

OH has specific laws related to carry a firearm in a posted place vs PA where carry in a posted place is covered under the broader trespassing laws. From what I can tell breaking the OH posted law is a M4 Criminal trespass. That carries up to a 30 day jail time and $250 fine. That does not seem prohibiting to me. But I am not a lawyer. YMMV.

Some more good info here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/L...nual-%28PDF%29

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/

Some good advice for traveling anywhere armed or unarmed. Do an inspection of your vehicle before leaving. Check all lights and indicators, check all fluid levels, check tire pressures, fill the thank, and check registration and insurance paperwork is up to date.

Combine this with good driving habits and the chances of being stopped or jammed up if stopped I believe go down significantly.
    Good advice...

(Bradford County)

Thank you very, folks! Lots of good info here!

(Philadelphia County)

I would like to direct this question to "QuackXP". I hit on the three sites you listed, but could not determine, or understand if Ohio allows pocket carry using a holster. From what I understand Ohio requires you to use a holster attached to your body for legal concealed carry. My son recently moved to Ohio and as is my preference when traveling by car, I like pocket carry. Any input appreciated.
    First generation American by birth. Patriotic Veteran by choice.

(Adams County)

Ohio also has a strange provision prohibiting concealed carry in any churches unless the pastor consents.

I go to Ohio a fair amount and it seems like a lot more businesses prohibit carrying firearms in Ohio than in Pa. Just another thing to watch out for.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by laen3145 View Post
    I would like to direct this question to "QuackXP". I hit on the three sites you listed, but could not determine, or understand if Ohio allows pocket carry using a holster. From what I understand Ohio requires you to use a holster attached to your body for legal concealed carry. My son recently moved to Ohio and as is my preference when traveling by car, I like pocket carry. Any input appreciated.
    Back when OH originally passed new laws to allow CC. There was some very poorly worded language (or intentionally poorly amendments from the other side who wanted a crippled bill) "In a motor vehicle, a loaded handgun must be in a holster on the person’s person..." in regards to carrying in a vehicle. They changed the law and removed this language in 2011.

The real sticking point even before SB 17 that is referenced below is you had to carry the firearm in a holster in the car. So those who wanted to carry say a .38 hammerless in a pocket or the kel-tek p3at with the attached spring clip could not. It needed to be in a holster. After SB17 that requirement was removed among other modifications.

http://ohioccw.org/201106304942/new-...f-of-sb17.html

So to my non lawyer knowledge you can carry your pocket gun in a holster. In theory you could now carry it without a holster, but I personally dont think that is safe especially if you are carrying on a loaded chamber.

P.S. I have been carrying with a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster since 2010 even before SB17 and never felt I was breaking the law.
    Last edited by QuackXP; October 31st, 2016 at 10:40 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Philadelphia County)

In response to "QuackXP", thank you for your input, it is right on. In my job as a Security Officer at a well known historical site in Philly, I recently had a conversation with a LEO from Columbus, OH. He agreed with your advice. As long as the firearm is in a holster, whether on your belt, or in a pocket holster, it is legal carry.
    Thank You, QuackXP
    First generation American by birth. Patriotic Veteran by choice.