Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Where do you set your point of impact (iron sights)

I'm curious. Where do you set your point of impact with iron sights?

For instance, I use my AR in NRA High Power, so I set the sight so that point of impact is 3 inches above the front post at 100 yards. That way I can do a lollipop hold on a 6 in bullseye and hit the 10 ring.

My .22 has a globe type front sight with a cross hair so I adjust it to hit the cross hair at the length of my local indoor range (1-1/2 inch bull at 50 feet).

My Win94 has a Williams fire sight (fiber optic) on the front. How would you adjust your point of aim for hunting? I can set it to hit in the center of he post, which covers about 11 MOA @ 100 yards. Cover the deer and I should hit it, but the bead covers a lot of your vision.
    I can set it to 3 inches above the bead, which would be good for bullseye.
    Or I could set to hit right at the top of the bead.

What do you do and why?

Default Re: Where do you set your point of impact (iron sights)

I have the Williams on a Marlin 1895G that I use for bear and the occasional deer. My POI is right above the front dot. It has worked out so far. Longest shot on an animal so far has been a buck at about 110 yards.

I do the "pumpkin on the post" for blade type and "make an 8" for bead type front sights, both set to hit 3" high at 100yds on 6" circles. Thats all iron sighted rifles/slug guns of all calibers. Scopes are set to the same, 3" high.
    Pistols I set up using the same method, at 30yds pumpkin on the post for the red dot in the center bulls eye.
    Aim small miss small.
    And know the ballistics of your ammunition.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Allegheny County)

In High Power (in the beginning) I used to use the Lollypop hold. I switched soon afterwards to a Navy (POA = POI) hold where the center of the very top of the front sight will be my POI. I shoot several different rifles and use the same hold. I don't like mixing up holds because its to easy to forget what your rifle is set up for. I prefer to have the knowledge that where I'm aiming is where the bullet is going, opposed to where I'm aiming the bullet is going to be x number of inches higher.
    Toujours prêt

Hokkmike Guest

Typically 1/2 to 1 inch high at 100 yards. I generally shoot with flat calibers. Lately - I have NO iron sighted rifles.