Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question on selling a handgun

I live in New Jersey, yes I know it sucks. My daughter lives in PA and has recently fallen in love with my Walther PPS and wants me to sell it to her. My question is what is the legal and correct way to do this?

Default Re: Question on selling a handgun

Store pistol in your vehicle per federal transportation regulations drive to a PA 01FFL and make a legal transfer into your daughters name. A second option would be to have the pistol shipped from your local NJ FFL to a local PA FFL of your daughters choosing then she can stop in do the proper back ground check and be on her way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Store pistol in your vehicle per federal transportation regulations drive to a PA 01FFL and make a legal transfer into your daughters name. A second option would be to have the pistol shipped from your local NJ FFL to a local PA FFL of your daughters choosing then she can stop in do the proper back ground check and be on her way.
    A third option would be to tell your Daughter, I love it too and one day it will be yours. Until then go buy your own!
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

A third option would be to tell your Daughter, I love it too and one day it will be yours. Until then go buy your own! [/QUOTE]

We both know how far that would go.

Hodgie, thanks for your input, I will take it to PA and have it transferred. DO they register pistols in PA? She was told to buy all she needs is her DL and pass the NICS.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs1949 View Post
    A third option would be to tell your Daughter, I love it too and one day it will be yours. Until then go buy your own!

Hodgie, thanks for your input, I will take it to PA and have it transferred. DO they register pistols in PA? She was told to buy all she needs is her DL and pass the NICS.[/QUOTE]

No registration. Bring a valid PA DL and a pen with a lot of ink.

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs1949 View Post

Hodgie, thanks for your input, I will take it to PA and have it transferred. DO they register pistols in PA? She was told to buy all she needs is her DL and pass the NICS.[/QUOTE]

They do a standard PICS check (NICS) in NJ no special permits or other BS like in NJ. It's cash and carry here just make sure the FFL you plan to use will do an out of state transfer from a non FFL.

(Bucks County)

If you were to move here, you could just give it to her and there would be no record at all. Totally free. Not sure exactly how long you have to stay to be considered a resident. Not suggesting anything shady.
    Suppose you and the Missus are arguing. You come home and all your stuff is packed up and on the lawn. You move in with daughter for the duration. You are so appreciative of being allowed to move in, that you give daughter a gift.
    Wife recalls that you are a steady wage earner, and are hung better than her magic bullet, and she allows you to move back in.

Nah, probably better to give $20+ to a FFL and, bonus, you get a nifty record of the sale on a permanent database with the PA State Troopers!

Might want to check with an immigration attorney to see how long it takes to set up residency.
    Last edited by Manxdriver; October 17th, 2016 at 08:24 PM.

(Washington County)

Before you travel with the handgun to PA, make sure to have an FFL lined up because not all FFLs do person to person transfers.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

Thanks all. I will get my ducks in a row before I go to an PA FFL dealer.

Manxdriver: We have been together for 30 years. I assume if she was going to boot me to the curb it would have been long before now.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    +1 :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast