Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Traveling to VT from PA

I'm planning a trip to VT in a week, and I live in the Lehigh Valley. I'd like to take my XD-40 with me, but I'm concerned about transporting the pistol across several state lines. With emphasis on NJ. I'm licensed for CCW by Carbon County. Any suggestions on how to do this, besides "leave it at home?"
    -= Gary =-

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Traveling to VT from PA

Personally, I'd avoid NJ. Head up through N.Y. that way you're only dealing with essentially one "anti" state. You can use FOPA transport guidelines through N.Y.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation
    Fill up, bathroom break,etc and lock up the gun and ammo separately before leaving PA. Don't stop at all going through N.Y. Once your in vt your good to carry.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Personally, I'd avoid NJ. Head up through N.Y. that way you're only dealing with essentially one "anti" state. You can use FOPA transport guidelines through N.Y.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation
    Fill up, bathroom break,etc and lock up the gun and ammo separately before leaving PA. Don't stop at all going through N.Y. Once your in vt your good to carry.
    And really, REALLY be sure you pay attention to and understand what it means where that NRA guide says: "Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest" NY State is one of those.

Also consider that the same guide literally says "Use extreme caution when traveling through New York with firearms." There's a reason they say that.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    And really, REALLY be sure you pay attention to and understand what it means where that NRA guide says: "Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest" NY State is one of those.

Also consider that the same guide literally says "Use extreme caution when traveling through New York with firearms." There's a reason they say that.
    Still better than Jersey imho. Plus that route would run him through mass as well and really close to NYC. Going north through N.Y. keeps him in PA longer, so it's just the N.Y.traverse that is perilous. You are correct though, no matter what he could be arrested and have to use fopa as a defense. Don't do anything stupid and don't make any stops is the best way to avoid trouble. Really sucks that it has to be something that is as big an issue as it is.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Still better than Jersey imho. Plus that route would run him through mass as well and really close to NYC. Going north through N.Y. keeps him in PA longer, so it's just the N.Y.traverse that is perilous. You are correct though, no matter what he could be arrested and have to use fopa as a defense. Don't do anything stupid and don't make any stops is the best way to avoid trouble. Really sucks that it has to be something that is as big an issue as it is.
    I was agreeing / do agree with the route you suggested. Better to only deal with one 'anti' state than more. Was simply encouraging him to understand that IF NY State finds you have a gun, even properly FOPA stowed and legit and you were in transit, "oh okay, continue on sir" is not how they handle it.

(Erie County)

If your driving, or your 'moron labe' covered vehicle are a cop magnet, then best to leave firearm home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Don't forget when you get to Vermont to.... unload you pistol and lock it in a case in the trunk before you come within 1000' of a school, then when outside the 1000' reload and proceed...

(Susquehanna County)

With family in Southern Vermont, and living close to the NY Border, this was always an issue.. but now I have gotten my NY permit (gloating) I am more relaxed.

Seriously.. take 81N then up 88 to 90, to 87 North then Take NY 7 towards Troy / Bennington VT.
    Scenic, no tolls (yes you get a toll ticket on 90 but don't pay when you get off)
    Don't speed over 9mph
    Keep pew pew unloaded and FOPA stored under everything..

Yes if found, they might arrest you (other than Troy area it is very country and conservative), they will confiscate pew pew, mags and ammo. In court FOPA will get you off but forget your goodies.

Going the other way is more expensive, hideous scenery, and much greater chances of getting caught!
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    With family in Southern Vermont, and living close to the NY Border, this was always an issue.. but now I have gotten my NY permit (gloating) I am more relaxed.

Seriously.. take 81N then up 88 to 90, to 87 North then Take NY 7 towards Troy / Bennington VT.
    Scenic, no tolls (yes you get a toll ticket on 90 but don't pay when you get off)
    Don't speed over 9mph
    Keep pew pew unloaded and FOPA stored under everything..

Yes if found, they might arrest you (other than Troy area it is very country and conservative), they will confiscate pew pew, mags and ammo. In court FOPA will get you off but forget your goodies.

Going the other way is more expensive, hideous scenery, and much greater chances of getting caught!
    I use to live in Washington County, NY and worked in VT for a bit. This is a great route to go.

(Susquehanna County)

Now I just need to ensure I take one of two pew pews listed on my permit and no magazines over 10 rounds.. but so much better than the alternative
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast