Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default What should I expect at Gun Show?

On Sept. 19-21, I plan on attending a local gun show at the Valley Forge Convention Center. Having never been to one of these events, what should I expect in terms of weapons checks? Do they allow OC or CC at these events?

(Chester County)

Default Re: What should I expect at Gun Show?

Quote Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
    On Sept. 19-21, I plan on attending a local gun show at the Valley Forge Convention Center. Having never been to one of these events, what should I expect in terms of weapons checks? Do they allow OC or CC at these events?
    They have a sign at the door that says no loaded guns inside. When you walk in, before paying the entrance fee there's a table to check your gun, whether it's a personal carry piece, or something you want to sell. They'll have you unload, put a plastic zip tie in it to keep the action open and give it back to you.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Lehigh County)

What to expect?

Beef jerky, lots of swastika-laden daggers, some reloaded ammunition, and plenty of old machine gun parts that are useless to anyone but high-roller machine gun collectors.

Oh, and you might stumble upon a stellar deal or two for a normal firearm.
    Any mission, any conditions, any foe at any range.
    Twice the mayhem, triple the force.
    Ten times the action, total hardcore.

(Pike County)

When I have been to the Valley Forge show they have not been doing pats or wanding. I have no doubt that OC (loaded) will be prevented at the door, gun will have to be emptied and strapped. Concealed is concealed.

(Delaware County)

expect a SHIT LOAD of people...

last time I went to a show in Valley Forge, you could barely walk; seriously....

I think I may check it out though..see what kinda deals I can find on .40 ammo and maybe pick up a Sig Mosquito.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Perry County)

If you find any Mosin Nagants for under $70 each, buy two. If you find 7.62x54R ammo for $40/spam can, buy four. Well, that's what I would do. But that's up to you.

Other than that, concealed is concealed. Personally, I wouldn't go into a gun show un-armed. You never know what kind of nuts are going to be there. Heck there could be a few from this site.
    We the people have not only the right but the responsibility to hang tyrants for treason.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    What to expect?

Beef jerky, lots of swastika-laden daggers, some reloaded ammunition, and plenty of old machine gun parts that are useless to anyone but high-roller machine gun collectors.

Oh, and you might stumble upon a stellar deal or two for a normal firearm.
    That and lots of tactical clothing in 5XL sizes and bigger. Lots of asshat types that want to take all day haggling a dealer over a 5 dollar difference in price from his table to the one "way over on the other side".

Dave
    3%

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Penguini66 View Post
    If you find any Mosin Nagants for under $70 each, buy two. If you find 7.62x54R ammo for $40/spam can, buy four. Well, that's what I would do. But that's up to you.

Other than that, concealed is concealed. Personally, I wouldn't go into a gun show un-armed. You never know what kind of nuts are going to be there. Heck there could be a few from this site.
    SPAM CAN of 7.62X54 for $40.00!!!! Where you been man? Cheapest I've seen that stuff lately has been about $75.00, a can, and thats if you can find it ....

In all seriousness to the original poster, expect to find high prices, tons of rude people, and mostly items you have no use for. That's pretty much your average gun show these days. Other than the mention of the $70.00 Mosins, thats about the only deal you'll find at a show anymore. Gun shows are more about dollars than guns these days.

BTW- I've never seen anyone patted down at a show, so I would think if you simply told the guy at the door "no" when he asks if you're carrying, you should be able to slip by him undetected.
    Last edited by Poonie; August 29th, 2008 at 09:33 AM.

(Northampton County)

I was there a few shows ago and had night sights put on my glock 30 by the glock man..So I proceeded to unload and the guy behind the table started screaming put it down,put it down,I will unload it..I did it myself and he still was screaming..He said they do it and that way there will be no ND..He then took my glock and the channel plug went sailing across the floor..I had to tell him a few times to pick the plug up..If you are not having any work done on yours just CC...Then when I was leaving the show I asked another guy behind the table to cut the tie off and he said not to recharge the gun until I got into my car....I reported this incident right after this originally happened last year.

(Monroe County)

I believe the theory behind the zip-tie is 2 fold, one is to keep people from trying ammo in their guns and seeing if it will work, the second and primary reason is theft, its easy to pocket a pistol and say its yours, little harder when it has to have a zip tie in it.

Personally when I'm going to a show I unchamber the round when I get out of the car and leave the mag in incase something happens in the parking lot I'm not unarmed. when I get to the gun check I drop the mag and put it right in my pocket and lock the gun open before I hand it to them. I'm not going to let anyone else unload my weapon. I don't feel like dealing with some dipshit accusing me of stealing a gun because it isn't tied.

Also take a knife so you can remove the zip tie as soon as you walk out of the door.

AS for what to expect... lots of people selling WW1 and wW2 memorabilia, a bunch of C&R rifles that you can buy cheaper online. Probably a few AR dealers and a few random hunting rifles.

You may get a good deal or two on ammo but good deals on guns... not likely. The dealers know what they are worth, if they don't sell then they'll put them on Gunbroker and sell them for what they want.

If Osprey International is there with their scopes take a look! Good scopes at a great price. That was the highlight of my trip to the last Allentown show
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast