Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 10.5" Vs. 8.5" Barrel On AR Pistol

So I'm getting an upper soon for this pistol build. I was going to get a 10.5" but they are becoming harder and harder to find in the price range I'm willing to spend. $250 MAX plus tax/shipping of course. All in .223/5.56

I'm not looking for extreme accuracy. I'm not looking to make a copy of any firearm. No can will be put on this either.

What I am looking for is a decent upper that shoots what I feed it. Groups ok on paper.

I want to get a PSA. But Radical is also on the budget block.

For what I am going for will there be a real difference in performance between the two bbl lengths? I've already got the lower and it has a carbine buffer and spring. I know ones a carbine gas system and the other a pistol and I've read people sometimes have issues with the pistol length gas systems and carbine buffer and spring. Some people have no issues...
    Last edited by PA1936MN; October 13th, 2016 at 05:10 PM.

(Beaver County)

Default Re: 10.5" Vs. 8.5" Barrel On AR Pistol

My first question would be what caliber are you building the pistol in?
    If its 5.56, I would say to go with the 10.5" (actually 11.5" is better) if you're using it for more than a noise maker.
    A barrel below 10.5" will kill off most of the ballistics of many 5.56 rounds.

Now if you're going with another caliber, that may change everything mentioned above.
    Something like 300 blk works very well with short barrels.

Remember, though, it's YOUR gun so build what you want that makes YOU happy!

Quote Originally Posted by JSPA View Post
    My first question would be what caliber are you building the pistol in?
    If its 5.56, I would say to go with the 10.5" (actually 11.5" is better) if you're using it for more than a noise maker.
    A barrel below 10.5" will kill off most of the ballistics of many 5.56 rounds.

Now if you're going with another caliber, that may change everything mentioned above.
    Something like 300 blk works very well with short barrels.

Remember, though, it's YOUR gun so build what you want that makes YOU happy!
    .223/5.56 I was thinking 300BO but after thinking about it I already have the ammo for .223/5.56 and the 300BO ammo I did find was awfully expensive and scarce in the stores. Maybe down the road if I find a cheap upper in 300BO I'll get it but not right now.

It's a fun gun at heart.

(Lancaster County)

I currently have two short-barreled uppers. One has a 7 1/2 inch barrel and one a 10 1/2 inch. They are both equally accurate out to my range maximum of 100 yards and equally reliable with all sorts of ammo. As others have said it's going to come down to a matter of what you want.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Armstrong County)

I prefer the 10". That's what my 5.56 sbr has. Anything shorter, and the concussion and fireball get kinda ridiculous, imho.

(Lancaster County)

I have both. The 10.5 has a faster bullet, both are Palmetto, both work well, both are pistol builds. In my opinion, the 10.5 is the better way to go if you can do it, but both are fun. I really haven't found an advantage to the 8.5 over the 10.5, and the extra velocity of the 10.5 helps with bullet cavitation.

if you are around the Elizabethtown area and want to try them both, send me a message.

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by danhr View Post
    I prefer the 10". That's what my 5.56 sbr has. Anything shorter, and the concussion and fireball get kinda ridiculous, imho.

7.5" barrel.
    No flash let alone fireballs.
    No concussion.

PWS CQB comp.
    Money well spent - does what it says it does.

The advantage of the shorter barrel is compactness. (especially when factoring in the addition of a muzzle device)
    For me, that was priority #1 and I'm not so concerned with reduced velocity. Stand across the room and let me shoot you then tell me how much deader you would be if I had used a longer barrel.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

+1 for the 10.5".

My 10.5" SBR is by far my favorite length I own. I shot a friends 7.5 and it just seemed way to small, kinda awkward for me being i'm 6'4". but again, it is your gun build it the way you want to!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glockman24 View Post
    +1 for the 10.5".

My 10.5" SBR is by far my favorite length I own. I shot a friends 7.5 and it just seemed way to small, kinda awkward for me being i'm 6'4". but again, it is your gun build it the way you want to!
    I could see that. Especially if you normally grasp the far end of the handguard.

I'm short, so there isn't a carbine made that I don't like - the shorter the better!
    And I'm old, so I'd have to retrain my brain to use "modern holds".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I could see that. Especially if you normally grasp the far end of the handguard.
    yes, i do usually grasp further down on the handguard on my 16" guns.

With the brake he had on his 7.5, i was always afraid of burning my hand with the fireballs that thing shot lol

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast