Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: 10.5" Vs. 8.5" Barrel On AR Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Kid k View Post
    I believe your referring to this. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=26889

Thanks. Not the thread, but I realized now that it was XringShooter who posted a lengthy and thorough explanation fairly recently.
    I'm sure I could find it by looking into his recent posts.

It was the reason I went ahead and built my pistol using the stripped lower (new/never assembled into anything) I had in my hands rather than going and buying one that was specifically a "pistol lower".
    I was mistaken in my thinking that it had to be a "pistol lower".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Thanks. Not the thread, but I realized now that it was XringShooter who posted a lengthy and thorough explanation fairly recently.
    I'm sure I could find it by looking into his recent posts.

It was the reason I went ahead and built my pistol using the stripped lower (new/never assembled into anything) I had in my hands rather than going and buying one that was specifically a "pistol lower".
    I was mistaken in my thinking that it had to be a "pistol lower".
    I only found that thread recently as im am planning my own pistol build while following yours
    NRA Endowment Member, N-SSA #9526v

Went 8.5" because it was what was available at the time and due to price constraints.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kid k View Post
    I believe your referring to this. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=26889
    --- never mind, I'll just necro that thread ---

(Blair County)

http://www.surplusammo.com/black-hole-weaponry-barrels/
    all in stock barrels 20% off with free shipping......

(Monroe County)

Interesting topic.

For some time now, I've thought about acquiring an AR15 pistol upper for matching with a DPMS lower group that's been tucked away for a long time. First off, the DPMS lower receiver is marked with the "K" for "kit" designation. To my limited understanding, it would be legal to use that particular lower group for an AR pistol build. Is this correct?

Second question is . . . . though the DPMS "K" receiver has NOT been employed as part of a rifle, there is a long buffer tube already mounted. Would it be legally and functionally okay to use that rifle tube having long spring without stock for a 10.5-inch barrel length pistol. It is assumed too that AR pistols use a standard type bolt carrier group.

Thanks in advance for info . . .
    "Make peaceful revolution impossible, violent revolution is inevitable." JFK

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Quahog View Post
    Interesting topic.

For some time now, I've thought about acquiring an AR15 pistol upper for matching with a DPMS lower group that's been tucked away for a long time. First off, the DPMS lower receiver is marked with the "K" for "kit" designation. To my limited understanding, it would be legal to use that particular lower group for an AR pistol build. Is this correct?

Second question is . . . . though the DPMS "K" receiver has NOT been employed as part of a rifle, there is a long buffer tube already mounted. Would it be legally and functionally okay to use that rifle tube having long spring without stock for a 10.5-inch barrel length pistol. It is assumed too that AR pistols use a standard type bolt carrier group.

The language as I recall suggests you'll have an issue if a stock can be readily attached. I assume a rifle buffer will readily permit a stock to be attached. Constructive possession, blah blah blah...

IANAL

(Allegheny County)

Interesting topic.

I've never heard of a "kit" designation and can't imagine how it would have any bearing on whether it's used for a rifle or a pistol.

The buffer tube will need to be a pistol buffer tube. They are shaped so a stock will not slide on.

BCG is the same in either.

(Monroe County)

I've never heard of a "kit" designation and can't imagine how it would have any bearing on whether it's used for a rifle or a pistol.
    Heard about this long ago . . . somewhere . . ? As it went . . . It was not legal to use a common AR rifle lower assembly to make an AR15 shorter than 16" barrel pistol. Regular AR15 lower receivers used to fabricate rifles were for long arms only. For AR15 pistols / handguns, only "kit" or "K" (before serial #) designated lower receivers could be used. The "K" kit marked receivers can be employed with both pistols and rifles. Once put on a rifle however, that K receiver can not "legally" be used again on a long arm. At least that what was my understanding via some anal retentive type information.
    "Make peaceful revolution impossible, violent revolution is inevitable." JFK

(Allegheny County)

Heard about this long ago . . . somewhere . . ? As it went . . . It was not legal to use a common AR rifle lower assembly to make an AR15 shorter than 16" barrel pistol. Regular AR15 lower receivers used to fabricate rifles were for long arms only. For AR15 pistols / handguns, only "kit" or "K" (before serial #) designated lower receivers could be used. The "K" kit marked receivers can be employed with both pistols and rifles. Once put on a rifle however, that K receiver can not "legally" be used again on a long arm. At least that what was my understanding via some anal retentive type information.

Yeah, I think you have some factual info mixed in with some legal nonsense that was straightened out several years back.

The state police tried making their own laws, but that was "fixed" a while ago.
    A lower is a lower. It's not a "pistol lower" or "rifle lower" - it's just a lower.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast