Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default HIGH POWER RIFLE COMPETITION

I apologize in advance if there is a thread that already encompasses what I am going to type here. I did attempt to search for one to no avail.
    I wish to get into Competitive shooting. I am looking at the NRA High Power Rifle and specifically, Service Rifle.
    I want to use the M1A since it was the rifle of my Naval Service. (My limited research has already shown that an AR Platform would be a better choice, however, I want to use the M1A exclusively...personal preference)
    I do not reload, know nothing of reloading, and AT THIS TIME, have no desire to get into reloading. At some point, depending on how deep I get into competing, I may change that.

My questions for the general population here are these:

Obviously the more prepared rifle would be a National Match M1A. But do I NEED to have that one or will the Fully Loaded variant be just fine? OR even the Standard? Would it be better to buy a standard and build it up?

What about ammunition? Assume I will be buying ammo and not reloading it...at least to start. Talk to me like a 2 year old...I know some things about ammo, but very little.

What else do you recommend to have to get started? (Broad subject, I know)

Any websites/forums you suggest I check out to better educate myself? I have already downloaded the NRA rule book.

Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide.

FC2 Christopher Sterner, USN(ret)

(Pike County)

Default Re: HIGH POWER RIFLE COMPETITION

(Allegheny County)

Hi and welcome to the world of High Power Competition. I could easily write a book on it, but I won't bore everyone and briefly answer your questions.

First off there are really two types of "matches" you can participate in. Non-sanctioned "Club" shoots and Sanctioned NRA/CMP matches. You need to find out what's available within acceptable (to you) driving distance. The club matches are typically a practice or just for fun shoots where the rules are relaxed and the scores are not reported to the NRA/CMP. Your M1A will work fine at these shoots, but you'll have a difficult time trying to shoot as well as the guys shooting proper AR "Service Rifles".

You can also shoot your M1A in sanctioned High Power or CMP matches. You won't be competing in the "Service Rifle" category, you'll be thrown in with the "Match Rifle" competitors (the guys shooting Space Guns and other rifles that don't meet the requirements of "Service Rifle". The CMP has a match specific to the M1A.

You need to research the difference between the four M1A builds (Standard, Loaded, National Match, and Super Match) to decide if you want to buy one or modify say a "Standard" into a "National Match". Personally, I'd start with either a Loaded or National Match if I want to be semi-competitive.

You can get away with factory "match" ammo for competition, otherwise decent factory ammo will work for most practices and club level matches. Later on if you find that your ammo is your weakest link, you can get into reloading.

The rifle is only a small part of the equation. It's really comes down to how well you can shoot. I'm afraid there are at least a dozen marksmanship techniques that you need to master to be a decent shooter and it will be difficult to learn these without some proper instruction and lots of practice.

Here are a few links to get you started researching:

Jim offers a training camp and you can buy decent training CD's from him:

http://jarheadtop.com/

NRA High Power Rule book:

http://competitions.nra.org/document...R/hpr-book.pdf

CMP Rule Book:

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...f?ver=09272016
    Toujours prêt

^^^ Everything he said and I will only add that I completed with a standard M1A with the only upgrade of it having National a National match front sight and some trigger work. As stated already as well as my experience unless your a well trained shooter do not expect to win against the .223 guys. When I shot in matches most guys converted over to AR platforms however there were a number of us shooting M1A's and Garands.

In my personal opinion If you do not already have an M1a then I wouldn't go out and buy a top of the line one from Springfield. Instead I would recommend buying a base then making the improvements over time as your experience grows in the places where it counts. If you handed me a Marine corps sniper rifle im not going to shoot it any better then my Ruger American predator because my skills do not suit the platform. There is a good aftermarket for the M1A/M14 so it's not necessary to buy it all now. If you are an experienced shooter then before I dropped the money on any Springfield and you have the money I would invest it into a Fulton Armory built rifle vs the Springfield.

Once you find a local match you may want to go check it out before you drop any funds into the sport. In my experience shooters have always been friendly and are happy to help a beginner out. One of the clubs I shot at in NJ used to offer a beginner to Hi power shooting clinic twice a year which was a huge help.
    Just my .02
    Last edited by Hodgie; October 10th, 2016 at 01:11 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    You won't be competing in the "Service Rifle" category, you'll be thrown in with the "Match Rifle" competitors (the guys shooting Space Guns and other rifles that don't meet the requirements of "Service Rifle". The CMP has a match specific to the M1A.
    Thanks for all the information so far...

my only question is regarding this quote...

I read over the NRA High Power Rifle Rules and I don't understand why an M1A STD, FL, or NM wouldn't qualify me for a Service Rifle category. Could you explain that one to me?

Hodgie, I'll be checking out the Fulton Armory you suggested... Can you tell me why you suggest them?

As far as buying and then building...is there THAT much of a difference in performance of the lighter STD barrel vs a heavier bbl offered in the FL or NM rifle?

I'm a pretty experienced and accurate iron sights shooter, although I'm sure I have some bad habits. I like to ringing the gong at my local 500yd range with the occasional '06.

Thanks for all the input guys...keep it coming if you have the time!

Quote Originally Posted by FC2TurboMSS View Post
    Thanks for all the information so far...

my only question is regarding this quote...

I read over the NRA High Power Rifle Rules and I don't understand why an M1A STD, FL, or NM wouldn't qualify me for a Service Rifle category. Could you explain that one to me?

Hodgie, I'll be checking out the Fulton Armory you suggested... Can you tell me why you suggest them?

As far as buying and then building...is there THAT much of a difference in performance of the lighter STD barrel vs a heavier bbl offered in the FL or NM rifle?

I'm a pretty experienced and accurate iron sights shooter, although I'm sure I have some bad habits. I like to ringing the gong at my local 500yd range with the occasional '06.

Thanks for all the input guys...keep it coming if you have the time!

They are built to true military specs using forged receivers and internals rather then cast. I am not saying Springfield suck since I have one but after shooting a standard Fulton Armory I defiantly noticed a large difference in build quality and performance. Regarding a heavier barrel your going to be less prone to whip and over heating quickly however once it's hot it will hold heat longer. For the bench or long range shooter having a heavy barrel even on an AR is always going to be inherently more accurate. I am sure some of the more experienced guy's who have this stuff down to a science can elaborate more.

(York County)

thanks!

what's "whip"?
    sorry for the ignorance...trying to learn the lingo

Quote Originally Posted by FC2TurboMSS View Post
    thanks!

what's "whip"?
    sorry for the ignorance...trying to learn the lingo

The harmonics of the barrel when shooting, for lack of a better term vibration. When a thinner barrel heats up they tend to shoot less accurate and string shots.

(York County)

awesome...thanks!

(York County)

Another question...

the old M14s...the wooden stocks would swell and make them inaccurate in Vietnam...do I need to worry about that today? Or can I get a walnut stock?
    long story short...

synthetic or wood?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast