Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (York County)

Default Re: HIGH POWER RIFLE COMPETITION

Rosco...
    Thats what i read right out of the NRA rule book too. Hawk later clarified his answer a bit.
    I don't expect to win with an M1A. Frankly, if it didn't erode the bore, I would have shot with my dad's M1 Garand. (I'm afraid of degrading it...its a gem)
    I'm going with the M1A/M14 route BECAUSE its harder AND because its what I qualified on in the Navy. Its MY service rifle...lol
    Thank you for the further clarification and validation. I will gain much more personal satisfaction from shooting an M1A the best I can than shooting an AR and winning.

--FC2

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    WRONG

Tough not the best- a stock/unmodded M1A DOES qualify for both NRA/CMP service rifle matches.
    Go to the match with it and min 3 mags and a good sling. Get some dope and learn how it runs.
    See other peoples gear.
    Like it and maybe you can follow me to Quantico and shoot some real CMP matches inc EIC.
    It difficult to keep all the rules straight when you compete in both NRA and CMP events and need to know both. I see my error now after reviewing the NRA rule book. Thanks for catching that.
    Last edited by Hawk; October 12th, 2016 at 09:09 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Monroe County)

Not to beat up on you but even under NRA rules his rifle can compete.
    From NRA -
    3.1 Service Rifle—As issued by the U.S. Armed Forces, or the same type
    and caliber of commercially manufactured rifle, having not less than 4 1/2
    pound trigger pull, with standard type stock and standard type leather or web
    sling. External alterations to the assembled arm will not be allowed. The
    application of synthetic coating, which includes those containing powdered
    metal, to the interior of the stock to improve bedding is authorized provided the
    coating does not interfere with the function or operation of safety features. The
    front and rear sights must be the standard or National Match design, but may
    vary in dimensions or rear sight aperture and front sight blade. The rear sight
    aperture may be hooded. The internal parts of the rifl e may be specially fi tted
    and include alterations that will improve the functioning and accuracy of the
    arm, provided such alterations in no way interfere with the proper functioning
    of the safety devices as manufactured. The rifl e must be so modifi ed as to be
    incapable of automatic fi re without removing, replacing or altering parts. The
    gas system must be fully operational.
    (a) U.S. Rifl e, Caliber .30 M1, or caliber 7.62mm M1––A device consisting
    of modifi ed cartridge clip that is intended to permit single loading from
    the clip into the chamber during slow fi re is considered an internal
    alteration to improve functioning and is permissible under this rule.
    (b) U.S. Rifle, Caliber 7.62 mm M-14––Must be no more than 2 inches
    wide at a point immediately to the rear of the front band, no more
    than 2 1/2 inches wide at the front and rear of the receiver, and have
    a continuous taper from receiver to front band. Width at receiver
    may be carried through to the butt plate, which may be the fl at M-1
    or hinged M-14 plate, which will be used only in the folded position.
    In all courses and in all positions the standard 10- or 20-round
    box magazine or a reduced capacity magazine of the same external
    dimensions will be allowed. For stock dimensions see diagram.
    I have done both for many years inc Inter-service matches and both CMP and NRA weeks at Camp Perry.

There are some rules that differ in how the match is run but the rifle tech rules are the same.
    The one that trips me out now is that optics are allowed on AR in the service rifles. Only 3 people used them last spring at the fleet matches and none of them were top ten but much was learned and like the AR, 1st there will be a couple and soon they will rule the field.

• The rifl e may have an optical sight (refl ective sights are considered
    optical sights) with a maximum power of 4.5X installed on the
    receiver. Variable scopes with a maximum of 4.5X are permitted.
    Only commercially manufactured scopes that were produced with a
    maximum magnifi cation of 4.5X and that have a maximum objective
    lens of 34 mm may be used. If an optical sight is used, the same
    optical sight must be used in all stages of a course of fi re ( changing
    sights is not permitted). The centerline of an optical sight shall be no
    higher than 3.5 inches above the centerline of the bore.
    I did my first 8 years shooting the M1A and boy you a gluton for punishment. I'd never go back.
    Then again I did break out my SECNAV M1 for the sight in day to give it a stretch. But I love my RRA NM. 2k+ for a good M1A or $800 for the RRA- it was a no brainer.
    You'll do fine with that M1A. Learn how to sling up, read the wind, call your shot breathing and getting the rapid fire down. Get a dope book or something to track your come ups. Then level up with a gun.
    I haven't been to New Holland for a few years but I think the longest shot is only 400yds. Not the std 2,3,600 most CMP ranges are.
    Even with a base rifle get some good ammo, but don't go nuts. PPU makes some great stuff for the price. When the Navy didn't give out MK262 a few years ago I too some PPU match in the 75gr and it held the wind the same and was only 2MOA below the OTM till 600 then it dropped 4moa more then OTM but still banged out the x ring.
    Let them know your a new shooter. They will fall over each other to help you out. Most new shooter get a bit over whelmed the 1st time.
    Also read the rules on scoring I assume you will have to pull pits also and you want to give as good pit service as you will hopefully get.
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; October 12th, 2016 at 11:15 AM.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Allegheny County)

Not to beat up on you but even under NRA rules his rifle can compete.
    From NRA -
    That's the rules we were speaking to, hence you excerpt from the NRA rule book.

I have done both for many years inc Inter-service matches and both CMP and NRA weeks at Camp Perry.

There are some rules that differ in how the match is run but the rifle tech rules are the same.
    That is true for the High Power Match, but there are at least half a dozen CMP matches (games) that are specific to certain rifles. (like the John C Garand, Springfield, Vintage, and M1 Carbine) to name a few.

The one that trips me out now is that optics are allowed on AR in the service rifles. Only 3 people used them last spring at the fleet matches and none of them were top ten but much was learned and like the AR, 1st there will be a couple and soon they will rule the field.
    I've been competing for the past 10 years. I started shooting optics on one of my AR's this year. There was definitely a learning curve and I blew my first HP match this year using an optic. A few practices later and I was easily adding 10-15 points to my ATC scores. The true benefit of optics is for us older guys with old eyes. It lets us compete again with the young guys with young eyes.

I did my first 8 years shooting the M1A and boy you a gluton for punishment. I'd never go back.

Yup, I hear you. I mostly shoot the AR platform, but I also shoot a M1 Garand in the John C. matches and a Swiss K31 in the Foreign Military Match. It's a big difference in felt recoil and wear and tear on your shoulder switching from the AR to those heavy calibers.
    Last edited by Hawk; October 12th, 2016 at 12:13 PM.
    Toujours prêt

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

I see that you are located in York county. Fortunately there are quite a few places in the area that offer highpower matches. Unfortunately the shooting season is just about done. New Holland has a full 600 yard across the course match. York riflemen near Hellam has a 800 agg 200yard reduced match with pits. Delta-Peachbottom has a 500agg 100yd reduced match that is a walk and paste. There is also Palmyra, Harrisburg hunters & anglers, and mechanicsburg that have monthly matches as well.

York Riflemen has a highpower clinic each spring for beginner shooters to cover the basics. You can keep an eye on there website for info. It is www.yorkriflemen.org. Delta Peachbottom sort of uses their second relay each month as an inpromptu clinic with quite a few of the more experienced shooters that shoot the first help out the new shooter in the second relay.

Just a few options to think about.

Regards,
    Jeff

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by egon12 View Post
    I see that you are located in York county. Fortunately there are quite a few places in the area that offer highpower matches. Unfortunately the shooting season is just about done. New Holland has a full 600 yard across the course match. York riflemen near Hellam has a 800 agg 200yard reduced match with pits. Delta-Peachbottom has a 500agg 100yd reduced match that is a walk and paste. There is also Palmyra, Harrisburg hunters & anglers, and mechanicsburg that have monthly matches as well.

York Riflemen has a highpower clinic each spring for beginner shooters to cover the basics. You can keep an eye on there website for info. It is www.yorkriflemen.org. Delta Peachbottom sort of uses their second relay each month as an inpromptu clinic with quite a few of the more experienced shooters that shoot the first help out the new shooter in the second relay.

Just a few options to think about.

Regards,
    Jeff
    Good info!
    I Really wish we had clubs like these around Pittsburgh. Many clubs in the area have dropped their HP/CMP programs due to lack of volunteers to run them combined with a big drop in attendance over the past 3-4 years.
    Toujours prêt

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123