Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default ? about crossbow

I am looking into getting a crossbow, i am looking at the Barrett and Horton Brands rated at #150 pull with 65 foot pounds of energy, would this be good enough for say taking white tail deer (in states that allows Crossbows for hunting) or for sentry removal etc. ?

How about the Horton and Barrett brands are they good? The Horton is about doulble the price of the Barrett, Whats your take?

Thanks, Mr nyman

(Potter County)

Default Re: ? about crossbow

I use horton hunter xs 200lbs Ive had it about 5 yrs now love it the only problem i had was I lost the crank handle . couldnt find one for sell the stores told me I have to buy a new crank called horton they sent me a new handle free . 150lb crossbow will take a deer no problems

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by epfreak64 View Post
    150lb crossbow will take a deer no problems
    Yeah, but what about the Sentries?

Be safe (and undetected).

Scott

Correct me if I'm wrong here but I remember crossbows being illegal to hunt with. We owned an arrow manufacturing company back in the late 80s and we had a nice crossbow but (again) I remember them being illegal to hunt with.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong here but I remember crossbows being illegal to hunt with. We owned an arrow manufacturing company back in the late 80s and we had a nice crossbow but (again) I remember them being illegal to hunt with.
    Crossbows are legal to hunt with during certain seasons and legal for the archery season in Special regulation areas of the state. To the OP I shoot a Tenpoint they are pricey but real nice crossbows.
    Last edited by JIMMYC308; June 29th, 2009 at 11:31 AM.
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMYC308 View Post
    Crossbows are legal to hunt with during certain seasons and legal for the archery season in Special regulation areas of the state. To the OP I shoot a Tenpoint they are pricey but real nice crossbows.
    Good to know, I guess they have changed the laws since "back then"

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Good to know, I guess they have changed the laws since "back then"
    They are legal everywhere in PA with a disabled archer permit issued from the PGC, they are also legal in the Special Reg areas, they ARE NOT legal for general usage during archery seas on in Monroe County! They are legal during rifle season as well.

I think the minimum KE recommended for white tail is like 35 pounds? Most modern compound bows are in the 50 - 70 range depending on draw weight, arrow weight, and speed.

If I remember correctly the average speed of a 150 pound cross bow is about 260 - 280 fps (it goes up based on pound pull) and the average bolts are like 300 - 400 grains give or take.

http://home.att.net/~sajackson/ballistics.html

good site, pretty cool (and fairly accurate) speed chart, trajectory I would ignore as its not accurate at all.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Thanks for the info guys, nice to know that a 150# 66 fpe crossbow can get the job done.
    I dont really need it for hunting, i have some fine rifles and shotguns , its good to have it in case the balloon goes up, plus i have always liked them .
    i am not a poacher or anything like that , but i like the option of operating quietly.

I am what they used to call in the 70's a "survivalist.

Thanks, Nyman

(Lehigh County)

For what it's worth. JMO I have an archery shop. I sell and service compounds mostly. I also service and repair crossbows. I don't own one myself because even though I'm old and have had surgery on an elbow and a shoulder, I don't consider crossbows archery so I shoot lower poundage compounds. Now to the point, finally. The only parts that I have ever replaced on crossbows other than strings were cams and cables. If I were to pick a crossbow for myself it would be an Excalibur because I have never seen a broken one. They don't have cams and cables and pound for pound they are just as powerful. Why do you need let off on a crossbow? The sear doesn't care how much weight it's holding. Also the triggers are pretty smooth on Excaliburs. Horton has some new recurves also but I have not shot one. The triggers on Horton and Barrett compounds that I have shot are pretty rough. The triggers on Ten Points are much better but open your wallet. You have to make your on choice. These are my opinions based on my limited experience with crossbows.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Monroe County)

!iarrowking, Are excaliburs available commercially or do one have to order from the factory or distributor? You said it doesnt have strings, what propels the arrow/bolt?

Thanks, Nyman

PS , i work in lehigh county, are you anywhere near IS 87, Rt 22, 222, Rt 33?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast