Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Shotgun Drills?

(Beaver County)

Default Shotgun Drills?

I'm bored with my shotgun. I've been having way more fun shooting targets with my rifle and pistols so I'm trying to figure out what I can do to have fun with it again. I do dry shotgun combat reloads and firing and reloading from behind cover mostly. There's no need to pattern because I've been using the same gun and ammo for a few years. I used to shoot in the woods and all I did was dump magazines and blow up jugs because I couldn't shoot accurately with a pistol or rifle. I've long since grown out of that ADHD style shooting crap and need to come up with some shotgun specific drills. Any suggestions?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Shotgun Drills?

Have you considered trap or skeet? Both are great for hand eye coordination, practicing "Point and Shoot", and how to lead a moving target.
    You can always buy a inexpensive thrower and throw targets for yourself.
    Shooting reactive steel is a lot of fun too. If you don't have steel, try balloons.
    Toujours prêt

(Beaver County)

I tried it once and did very poorly. I could try to go when people are doing it at PMSC and try.

I'm trying to build a swinging PVC target stand that will be able to rotate 180 degrees so I can have something reactive to shoot. PVC holds up really well to birdshot compared to wood so I'm building it with that. If I had property to shoot on, I would buy my own steel targets and build heavier stands but transporting all of this crap to PMSC every time I shoot is a pain in the balls.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Misery Loves Shotguns View Post
    I tried it once and did very poorly. I could try to go when people are doing it at PMSC and try.

I'm trying to build a swinging PVC target stand that will be able to rotate 180 degrees so I can have something reactive to shoot. PVC holds up really well to birdshot compared to wood so I'm building it with that. If I had property to shoot on, I would buy my own steel targets and build heavier stands but transporting all of this crap to PMSC every time I shoot is a pain in the balls.

Here's one other idea. A bunch of us got bored shooting traditional trap and skeet with our Trap/Sleet specific shotguns. We all owned tactical shotguns too, but those don't work to well in Trap/Skeet. So we came up with our own idea we called "Tactical Trap".
    We would take turns standing directly behind the trap house (and even on top of the trap house) in low ready position with a full mag. One of the guys would randomly release the bird and the guy shooting would have to point and shoot as fast as he could to break the bird. He would shoot until his mag was empty and then the next guy was up. We would burn through a lot of shells and birds in one session so we didn't do this to often (cost was approx.$9 per 25 birds, shells plus birds). We threw singles, doubles, triples, etc. The trap was set to oscillate (normally) left and right. so you didn't have the bird coming out the same angle each time. It was a lot of fun and a lot easier than trap/skeet to break the birds.

What you need to do is to contact the PMSC trap commander and have him give you orientation on the trap equipment. After that you will be issued a key to operate the traps yourself when ever you feel like shooting. It's on the honor system, so you still have to pay the trap fee ($3.50 I think) per 25 birds.
    Last edited by Hawk; October 11th, 2016 at 08:50 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Lackawanna County)

I've used clays a lot for shotgun. It's not my favorite thing but it works. Start unloaded throw a clay load gun shoot it. Things like that. You could always get into three gun