Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: How to Shoot a SuperBlackhawk Hunter Offhand

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Correct. When a single action recoils it gets it's self ready for thumb cocking.
    Yep. The key is to control, but not fully resist.

Trying to fully resist recoil on magnum cartridges will only beat your hands up. If you want to resist recoil, use a Bisley grip frame - but be prepared to have sore hands and wrists with .44mag on up.

The plow handle grip frame is designed to allow the gun to roll up. ...to help get your thumb in place to recock and to lessen the felt recoil. I know it sounds counter-intuitive for shooting, where nearly all other guns you are supposed to fight recoil with a firm grip, but the plow handle design is supposed to slide in your hand some.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    I have pretty big hands & the grips do not feel too big. The original grips are so small that I could not hold the gun w/o it slipping w/o a death grip.
    Ok, Me too, Just wondering.
    Its why I went to those Hogues, the cowboy hog leg gripss were tough to control, with my pinky hanging off the bottom of the grip.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    take up archery.
    Holding a bow out for extended periods as you aim has helped my pistol shooting tremendously.
    Its just a matter of building up the strength. I have the very same pistol with a bushnell 2-6 variable power scope 30mm objective, down to the same grips., It takes practice. a lot of practice. take off the scope, Get 6 snap caps and dry fire it in the basement. Start with shooting 24X then working your way up to 100x. then 200X then start again with the scope on it, focusing on holding it steady. Then take her to the range and sling some live rounds out of it. I use a isosceles stance with the scope
    As for the trigger gaurd slap, could those grips be too big for you? do you still have the original cowboy grips?
    Very good suggestion. Thank you!

Dry firing is always good. In my situation I need to develop comfort w/ a new style grip as well as strength/endurance for the BIG gun. I will shoot archery as well as dry fire. Maybe the single action style gun is not for me, but I have not practiced w/ it enough to give up. I do understand that the single action grip is supposed to roll up in your hand when you fire. However, I need enough stability and consistency w/ my grip BEFORE the bullet exits the bore, which I still do not have. The Hogue grips have helped significantly in this regard, but now I need more practice. Maybe I am too used to how my 629 feels/shoots.

BTW, although I do not shoot this gun well, focusing on the grip and managing recoil has made me shoot ALL my other guns better! Besides, other than the painful trigger guard slap, the practice is FUN!

Thanks to all that replied. This has been a good thread and very helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12