Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Taurus M44 vs S&W 629

I'm planning on buying a 4" .44 Mag within the next several months..

I'm defaulting to the S&W 629, however, I just saw the Taurus M44 online. They're both 6 shot revolvers and seem comparable, however, the Taurus is about $250 cheaper..

Does anyone have experience with these two (or any other model) who can give me an opinion?

Thanks

(Berks County)

Default Re: Taurus M44 vs S&W 629

629 all the way IMHO.

(Lancaster County)

^^What stainless said. I have a 6.5" 629 that has never given me a hint of trouble. Taurus revolvers are usually good guns but they just don't compare to Smiths or Rugers. Knowing what I know now though, vs what I thought I knew when I bought my 629, I wish I waited until I found a blued Smith & Wesson 44 mag pre-lock. Some good deals on 629s pop up in the classifieds. I think there's one right now as a matter fact.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lancaster County)

This may have been the classified ad I was thinking about but it's already been sold. If you're thinking used keep your eyes open and you may save hundreds of dollars. http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=310638
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    ^^What stainless said. I have a 6.5" 629 that has never given me a hint of trouble. Taurus revolvers are usually good guns but they just don't compare to Smiths or Rugers. Knowing what I know now though, vs what I thought I knew when I bought my 629, I wish I waited until I found a blued Smith & Wesson 44 mag pre-lock. Some good deals on 629s pop up in the classifieds. I think there's one right now as a matter fact.
    I bought the last one i remember seeing, 629 pre-lock 5" perfect condition. But yea id go with smith cant go wrong, unless it's one with a lock and you're going fishing with your platoon and only have one eye, and meed to borrow from your 401k to buy it but drive a Audi then go with a ruger
    Last edited by CartBone69; October 7th, 2016 at 12:22 PM.
    IANAL

(Allegheny County)

another vote for the smith or else ruger redhawk 4" 44 mag. both excellent made in usa magnums with superior reputations. The taurus revolvers have a fine reputation but when I worked at a certain box store we saw many taurus guns come back for warranty issues, I never saw an issue with a smith or ruger revolver.
    http://www.mrgundealer.com/product.r...atin-stainless
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/26255
    http://www.mrgundealer.com/product.t...p-overlay-blue

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    I noticed you pointed out "pre-lock".. Why is this? Is their an issue with the locks?
    Thanks

(Lancaster County)

I've never had an issue with my lock nor do I know anyone who has but internet folklore suggests that it can possibly fail and render the revolver useless when you need it most. Good luck finding anyone who has actually had it happen to them though. The lock itself takes away from the look of the revolver in most peoples opinions, mine included. If you ever need to sell it you'll have much better luck selling a pre-lock.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"