Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MI resident driving to PA. What police depts. issue non-resident licenses same day?

Hello and greetings from Michigan! My wife and I plan to take a road trip to your wonderful state next weekend to visit Pittsburg. We plan on crossing from Ohio to Pennsylvania via I-75S(that'd be near Petersburg, OH).

I've read that some police deptments will issue a non-resident concealed carry license same day to people that hold a valid concealed carry license in their home state that PA reciprocates with. We both hold valid concealed carry licenses in MI. MI and PA also reciprocate each other's concealed carry licenses.

So my question is, where would be a good police dept. to stop at to get a same day issued non-resident concealed carry license? I figured you guys would be in the know being residents and all!

Michigan, very sadly, is one of the last states that has a handgun registry. Despite the ground we have gained in the past years such as: being able to buy supressors and now hunt with them, being able to buy/own SBRs and SBSs, and being able to buy/own transferable machine guns; we still haven't struck down the handgun registry yet. Our law has sort of a loophole to the handgun registry though. If a MI resident possesses a license to carry a concealed handgun from another state, you are then exempt from registering handguns! This is why I seek your state's non-resident license.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

While I'm at it, I mine as well ask what the big no nos are for carrying concealed in your state. I have looked up your state's concealed carry laws but guess it doesn't hurt to ask in case I've missed something. I see you have preemption so state law is the law of the land except in Philadelphia it seems.
    Last edited by Cocowheats; October 7th, 2016 at 12:07 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: MI resident driving to PA. What police depts. issue non-resident licenses same da

I don't have the answer to your question as I've never really followed reciprocity stuff, but welcome to the forum and I gotta say that I love your screen name. LOL!

Who doesn't love CoCo Wheats?!

You may get a kick out of this thread.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Default Re: MI resident driving to PA. What police depts. issue non-resident licenses same da

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    I don't have the answer to your question as I've never really followed reciprocity stuff, but welcome to the forum and I gotta say that I love your screen name. LOL!

Who doesn't love CoCo Wheats?!

You may get a kick out of this thread.
    I sure did get a kick out of that thread and thanks for the welcome!

My last name has "wheat" in it thus the coined nickname "cocowheats"!

(Warren County)

No need to inform the cop that pulls you over that you are a carrying. In Ohio you are required.

No loaded long guns in car, period.

Signage does not have the force of law. If you conceal carry into a bank with a no gun sign....
    the worst that can happen is they tell you to leave...if they spot it. Ohio, the opposite.

Bars, churches, banks, no rules about those locations, so good to go.

Schools and federal buildings...No guns.

Call Armstrong county sheriff and Butler county sheriffs offices re same day non-resident...
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Jefferson County)

Jefferson county issues same-day. So longs PICS is up, they issue "same ten minutes".
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

OK, I was going to post that you need to go to a county sheriff's office as opposed to "a police department", but I wasn't sure if there was some difference in the process when getting an out of state permit. I guess I was on the right track.

Some counties do have "satellite offices" as well as the main office, but I can't say which ones for certain.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Northampton County)

Westmoreland and Fayette counties issue while you wait. At least they used to. Call ahead and ask them if they still do. On the forum, Westmoreland, it can be found that they issue to non residents. Check first if Fayette does too. Over on this side of the state Berks county issues same day

Thanks a ton guys!

Of the mentinoed counties thus far, I think Butler is the most convenient to Pittsburgh followed by Westmoreland, Armstrong, and Fayette. So I'll shoot them a call in that order on Monday(provided they're open on Columbus Day).

Good see a few options if one doesn't want to play ball!

I appreciate the tips on CC as well. The comments seem to fall in line with how I read your laws.

(Cumberland County)

Cumberland also does same day issue. The county courthouse with the sheriffs office is in carlisle, pa.

(Montgomery County)

Welcome. I lived in Michigan for a while, and am familiar with the onerous gun laws there. If only turd-Snyder would go away and make room for a real Republican, you'd finally get the freedom you deserve.
    As far as PA gun laws, ours are some of the best in the nation. Philly's only difference is no open carry WITHOUT a license, which doesn't affect you anyhow.
    I'm living a bit south of Pittsburgh now, if you want to meet up during your trip for a family lunch or something, let me know.
    PUT AN ACOG ON IT!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast