Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Hornady .223 brass Gray/Black color

While I was at the range today I picked up a few Hornady .223 fired cartridges. They were gray/black in color, not magnetic and they were boxer primer. Made the same sound as brass when dropped on concrete, so I don't think they are made of aluminum. Anyone see these before. When I searched the Hornady website I didn't see them listed.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Hornady .223 brass Gray/Black color

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Sights View Post
    While I was at the range today I picked up a few Hornady .223 fired cartridges. They were gray/black in color, not magnetic and they were boxer primer. Made the same sound as brass when dropped on concrete, so I don't think they are made of aluminum. Anyone see these before. When I searched the Hornady website I didn't see them listed.
    They are some kind of specialty ammo. Just normal brass cases with a coating of some sort. Saw some for sale at one of the on-line sources a couple of months ago.

Just found this about TAP ammo:

Special Note from Hornady Manufacturing:
    We are making a running change to the TAP ammunition. This includes changing from Blackened Nickel Cases to Bright Silver Nickel cases. Using the Silver Nickel cases has all the advantages of Blackened Nickel and the added benefit of being able to see the cartridges more clearly in low light conditions as well as when checking for loaded chambers.
    Last edited by gghbi; October 5th, 2016 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks for the info

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post

Special Note from Hornady Manufacturing:

We are making a running change to the TAP ammunition. This includes changing from Blackened Nickel Cases to Bright Silver Nickel cases. Using the Silver Nickel cases has all the advantages of Blackened Nickel and the added benefit of being able to see the cartridges more clearly in low light conditions as well as when checking for loaded chambers.
    Good thinking by Hornady.
    - bamboomaster