Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Deer and Turkey at same time?

I was going to go Turkey hunting this fall, and had a quick question. Is it permissible to hunt 2 types of game simultaneously? (Albeit a little cumbersome carrying a bow and shotgun) I was going to use shotgun on Turkey but was thinking of bringing my bow incase I see a nice Buck. In my brief search of the Hunting/Trapping Digest I couldn't find anything against it (as long as shotgun is only used on turkey).

(Juniata County)

Default Re: Deer and Turkey at same time?

The trouble may only come after you stick a deer and drag it out in front of a WCO (or an observant other person who reports it) carrying the shotgun. You never know, but you are allowed to take turkey with a bow. Boiler room hits through the wing will anchor them, or at least kill the efficiently. Why risk a problem.
    Most of being smart is knowing what you are dumb at.

(Juniata County)

Also the reason I only carry non-lead pellets during residence goose overlap with dove when I am in an area I may see both. Just thought I'd add that little bit.

(Westmoreland County)

You CANNOT carry a shotgun for turkey and a bow for deer at the same time. You can carry a shotgun only for turkey....and don't forget to look at the FO requirement. You CAN carry a bow or X-bow for both deer and turkey. The only time you can carry a "multiple weapon" is during the early M\L (in-line) season. That's when you CAN carry an in-line for doe (anterless) and a bow for buck (anterled) at the same time.

Don't ask me for logic. That's like asking me why you can shoot a deer during the post Christmas flintlock season statewide with a 50 caliber or greater flintlock pistol.....but you can't shoot a deer in the "Special Regulation" area (in my case Allegheny County) with a 50 caliber flintlock pistol. ONLY a flintlock rifle is permitted. What?....the deer can tell the difference when it's in Allegheny County?

Quote Originally Posted by Hersh5317 View Post
    Also the reason I only carry non-lead pellets during residence goose overlap with dove when I am in an area I may see both. Just thought I'd add that little bit.
    I would hate to see a dove breast after taking a payload of goose steel shot...

(Juniata County)

#6 for dove, don't use the bigger stuff on them.

I looked into this before once... I'm almost positive you can't have both types of weapons on you.

This is my first year of archery. I got a crossbow. Last Saturday I was out and had the turkey flock at 10 yards and 3 doe come rambling in at 20 yards.

You can bet from Sat 10/29 to Sat 11/12 it's going to get interesting with the crossbow.

(Chester County)

I think my plan is going to be start with SG in AM and if I've seen a few deer or feel like I might, switch to Bow @ lunch.