Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Walther PPK - No new production

I recently bought a Walther PPQ .45 and I really like it. Was thinking of getting a Walther PPK at some point in the future but noticed that it was not available on a lot of the usual sites I buy guns from. I sent an email to Walther and got this back-

I certainly appreciate your interest in the new PPK. We are currently producing the gun. But I’m unable to release any of the details surrounding the specifics of the design or pricing at this time. Due to foreign licensing issues, the PPK series will not be available until further notice.

Casey Craig
    Gun Technician
    Walther Arms, Inc.

It seems odd to me that Walther Arms USA would have licensing problems with Walther Arms back in the old country, but I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer.

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Walther PPK - No new production

Isn't the PPK the Walther than "failed by a point" so it can't be imported?

What about the production of the PPK/S, the gun that Walther produced to work around that "point"?

(Chester County)

Over the past few years PPK's have been produced here in the USA by Smith and Wesson and before that Interarms. I looked into one when I was looking for a compact. I opted for a compact 9mm instead of a .380. The .380 is underpowered and more expensive than a standard 9mm. The legendary PPK that James Bond carried was a .32 calibre.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    Isn't the PPK the Walther than "failed by a point" so it can't be imported?

What about the production of the PPK/S, the gun that Walther produced to work around that "point"?
    Is that restriction still in place? That was why the PPK/S was developed: To make the grip longer and make it "importable". With all of the tiny Ruger LCP's and other micro 380s, it seems odd that they'd still have that ridiculous restriction in place.

(Bucks County)

What about a SIG P232?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    What about a SIG P232?
    Yep looking at that one too, and the SIG P238.

PPK is heavy and bulky compared to similar firepower. I would get a 238 if you want a metal .380. I had an interarms PPK that liked to bite my hand and a newer S&W that was better but still just too heavy and big for 7 rounds of .380. The only way I would buy a PPK now is a historical one.

Owned one or two myself and liked them very much, one Intersrm the other Murich (SP)/or Manchurin (SP). Been very long since I owned them. Good firearms, nice weight n size, n pretty good sccurate wise. Others might feel its heavy, big, shoots like ^%$, nd the 380 is sucks. The 380 is improved, its vot your 380 of yester-years. The PPK is under a new contract seeing SW did not do a good job from what I understand. Believe there was a recal of the SW PPK model at one time. The xontract wasnt renewd back in 2014. The Intersrm Arms and others before Intersrm sre going for high prices now. Wish I kept mine, who knew, just bills had to get paid. I really like the PPK, mostly the PPK/S in s/s.

The SIG 232SL is one other that you will find going for high prices. I have one of these and its a great shooter. My sister was very lucky to find the SL herself. The gun store owner picked one up brand new and never really shot it. He just wanted it out of his safe (supposedly) and sold it one low price. Box, paperwork, nd with three magazines.
    Later we found out why he sold it for such, it was missing one spring - which was discontinued everywhere we looked. Even SIGs website posted it discontinued. Thats the thing with the SIG 232, it will be very hard to find parts for seeing most have been discontinued. I was lucky when I phoned SIG. I kept hearing their service is excellent. I was very happy when they found the spring in their warehouse and sent it out for free! I will say, what I heard on their servics is true.

Good luck, hope you find one!

(Bucks County)

I have a PP or PPK (would have to dig it out and look) Interarms variety in .380. I was surprised how brutal that relatively heavy gun is. Don't care to shoot it again. I think the design should be limited to .32.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tmygun View Post
    Is that restriction still in place? That was why the PPK/S was developed: To make the grip longer and make it "importable". With all of the tiny Ruger LCP's and other micro 380s, it seems odd that they'd still have that ridiculous restriction in place.
    I believe that was part of the infamous Gun Control Act of 1968, and yes, it is still in effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast