Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: Cops don't know the law lucky to keep gun.

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    Here's a fun take on the red light issue.

We have one particular intersection that I see people run the red all the time in the middle of the night. They stop and wait and wait and wait. Then they go, thinking the light is malfunctioning. I kindly explain how the loops work, and the reason they failed to activate the light.

The white painted stop bar is set back a fair distance from the intersecting road to allow for larger vehicles to make the turn. A larger percentage of drivers fail to stop at the white painted stop bar (where the loop is), and instead choose to stop closer to the physical intersection, (About a two car length distance) thus, never activating the sensors.

The light functions just fine, if you stop where you're supposed to.

So, with the new change to the law, do they get a free pass, thinking the light malfunctioned, but the perceived malfunction was caused by their violation of 3112(a)(3)(i). (Not stopping at the clearly marked stop line).

Deep thoughts to ponder.
    In that situation; there are no deep thoughts to ponder.
    In addition to being given a ticket for running the red light. They should be given a ticket for failing to stop at the STOP line.
    --ET

(Montgomery County)

Loose lips sink ships, bozo.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    In that situation; there are no deep thoughts to ponder.
    In addition to being given a ticket for running the red light. They should be given a ticket for failing to stop at the STOP line.
    I'm a little more mellow on this one, esp. since you say "middle of the night"... Yes, folks should stop before the white line. But in this case I think it's fair enough to proceed after an extended wait versus throwin' the book at 'em.

Legally, though IANAL, I'd guess they get a "free pass" if they legitimately think the light malfunctioned and proceeded with caution after they "wait and wait and wait".

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    Aaahhhh EXCUSE me, idiots you say ? Who the hell are you and makes you so high on your horse ?? Try sitting thru 2 or 3 lights with people behind you and the light doesn't change. Ive gone thru many red lights after 2 changes so the cars aren't stuck sitting there. So from all the fellow bikers out there KISS MY A#!
    Ditto. I may be an idiot but it has nothing to do with my mode of transportation.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    Even better news. One of the many services provided by your friendly local PD is "Community Lost And Found" and "Keepers of all things nobody else wants to deal with."

EMS crew won't take it, give it to the cops.
    Booking center won't take it, give it to the cops.
    Found it on the street, give it to the cops.
    Bike laying in your yard, give it to the cops.
    Wallet left in your store, give it to the cops.

We'd love to take an hour of our day to drive to you, try to shove a bike in our trunk, and take it to station. There we can do 30minutes of paperwork, and tag the item into our inventory system and then lock it up.
    Then we can do another 30 minutes of paperwork when you come to pick it up. And if you're lucky and it was a gun, then we have to do a pics check on you before we can give you back your own property.

Anyone have a coat to check ?
    Which is why, excepting a crime, or barring injury or illness that leads or is pretty darn obviously likely to lead to mental incapacity (extenuating circumstances), you, and every other LEO should have a policy that refuses to take firearms.

Because sooner or later, it is going to come up, and I would much rather sit down with the Dept of health with the LEO that refused tagging a long to explain why the DOH policy is pretty darn illegal, and frankly ridiculously in a State where 1 in 8 adults has a LTCF and 1 in 12, out of the total population, get a hunting license every year, and many of those numbers do not overlap. I assume everyone I interact with is armed, because there is a pretty good chance they are, or could be momentarily.

Because the public perception, even though most are not, is that EMS is a government agency. In places like Philly, or Huntington Boro they are. Even without that, EMS services are designated (empowered to respond in an official capacity) by the local municipalities, licensed and regulated by the Commonwealth. Given the public perception that an emergency is occurring, if an EMS provider requires (coerces under duress) a person to relinquish their firearm, that seems an awful lot to me like a crime. I'm not a lawyer or LEO, but given the situation, how would you read this statute?

A person acting or purporting to act in an official capacity
    or taking advantage of such actual or purported capacity commits
    a misdemeanor of the second degree if, knowing that his conduct
    is illegal, he:
    (1) subjects another to arrest, detention, search,
    seizure, mistreatment, dispossession, assessment, lien or
    other infringement of personal or property rights; or
    (2) denies or impedes another in the exercise or
    enjoyment of any right, privilege, power or immunity.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; October 8th, 2016 at 01:38 AM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789