Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Question Glock 20 .40 Cal and other questions

In my never ending quest for finding cheap ammo to shoot, reading things on the interwebz and generally not getting anywhere, can someone please shed some light on the following scenarios:

1. Can i shoot standard and +p .40 S&W through factory 10mm glock barrel?
    2. Can i get a lone wolf conversion barrel for the Glock 20 and shoot .40 S&W ammo without causing any damage to the firearm?
    3. Will a compensated barrel help with heavier 10mm loads as far as rapidly placing shots is concerned or is the muzzle flash a bit much?
    4. Should i get the Glock 29 now (will ding my wallet and my marriage) or post elections (smooth sailing as bonus check clears in December)?

All opinions are welcome.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Glock 20 .40 Cal and other questions

Quote Originally Posted by TheTailhound View Post
    In my never ending quest for finding cheap ammo to shoot, reading things on the interwebz and generally not getting anywhere, can someone please shed some light on the following scenarios:

1. Can i shoot standard and +p .40 S&W through factory 10mm glock barrel?
    I have been told and seen people shoot 40sw out of Glock20. and seems that it does work. But its one of those "YMMV" or "Just because you can don't mean you should..." type of deal...
    2. Can i get a lone wolf conversion barrel for the Glock 20 and shoot .40 S&W ammo without causing any damage to the firearm?
    Id imagine you can. But I'm not sure if G20 Mag would reliably feed 40SW or not. And you may need anemic recoil spring as well...
    3. Will a compensated barrel help with heavier 10mm loads as far as rapidly placing shots is concerned or is the muzzle flash a bit much?
    Its much high pressure round then round like 45ACP, so you'll feel more effect from 10mm then compensated 45acp guns. But I really don't have any issue with requiring target after each shot. And chances are whatever the target you was shooting with full power 10mm will likely need no second shots...
    4. Should i get the Glock 29 now (will ding my wallet and my marriage) or post elections (smooth sailing as bonus check clears in December)?
    Sure why not? But if its up to me, Id stick with full size gun. 10mm is awesome, because of its velocities. By getting gun with shorter barrel would sort of not allow 10mm to really stretch its legs...
    All opinions are welcome.
    Red is me.
    I love my gen4 G20!
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Bucks County)

Only reason i was opting for a 29 was so i could conceal it.

Other than that, i agree, it does snap and jump a bit. I am looking at a lonewolf barrell right now but am torn between buying it or adding a couple of 100 more and getting the 29.

Also, the backstrap i put on the grip came off. Need to put it back in place.

(Blair County)

Ive heard of people shooting .40 out of a 10mm barrel you will cause excessive wear on your chamber.
    You can by the conversion barrel and use 10mm mags no problem
    I wouldnt to shoot a compensated G29 at night time if my life depended on it, shoots enough fire as it is.
    G29 is a great gun, and tere are a lot of fish in the sea

(Allegheny County)

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html
    http://www.glocktalk.com/threads/bar...ocity.1499661/
    Glock 20, 4.6" barrel
    Glock 29, 3.77" barrel

Don't think you'll see a big drop off in velocity
    ported or compensator will reduce muzzle rise and will make it louder with bigger flash
    can't speak to your relationship or financial situations.

Edit...Oh yeah, and don't shoot 40S&W through your 10mm barrel please! Note officially Glock is of the opinion that you shouldn't put any non glock aftermarket parts in your glock, that is the response I got from them when asking about converting the G20 to shoot 40S&W with a lonewolf barrel...
    Last edited by IrocGuns; October 12th, 2016 at 03:54 PM.

Buy a .40 conversion barrel if you want to shoot .40. Both the .40sw and the 10mm headspace off the case mouth. A 10mm will obviously properly headspace in a 10mm barrel a .40 won't, the .40 will depend on the extractor to headspace the round which can cause problems.